Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying new. Want a dry filter, NOT oiled. Want some added intake sound, but not TOO much.

I do not expect: added power or fuel economy.
Am not a fan of K&N.

What's your brand?
Was it easy to install?
Did everything OEM hook up to it easily?
Did you replace or retain the OEM airbox?
Did you need to relocate anything IE horns/etc...?

Possible brands I'm familiar with and would consider:
AEM, AFE, Airaid, Injen, Volant

Am open to other suggestions, so fire away. :)
TIA

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
Mine is home made. Uses the stock air cleaner box with an Amsoil nanofiber filter.I blocked off the CAI because it allowed the filter to plug up while running silt beds.
The air box now has a louvered cover and draws air from the engine compartment. Not ideal but better than the CAI.
A bit of cutting, sanding, fitting but not hard to do. Lot cheaper also.
Did most of it on my “queen size” work bench when I was bedridden.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amsoil nanofiber filter.
Thanks whistler, but that Amsoil filter has been out of production for a few years now.

Fwiw, I'm 100% street.

I wanna hear some actual/LIVE intake sounds...but that's pretty funny Skibane!

·
5,729 Posts
I think a standard paper filter will do as well.
If you decide to go with a stock air box, I will send you an Amsoil one.
I have one I can spare.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I can give you one helpful tip that I learned the hard way: you may need to bend the top mount bracket downward slightly, which is part of the ABS actuator mounting bracket, in order to get the aftermarket CAI air box to fit properly. I pulled what's left of my hair out trying to figure out what was going wrong when I tried to install a Valant CAI system into my 2006 Pathfinder (found the same issue with my 2008 Pathfinder). The first Volant box had lousy instructions and mentioned a horn relocating bracket that was not with my kit; tech support said I wouldn't need it, but the horns were in the way of getting the box to sit down. Then, with the horns removed, the box still would sit right, so they sent some spacers that fit between the bottom of the box and the sheet metal below it. Still no good. So, then they sent me a kit for 2008 and later; this kit had a big cutout in it that allowed fitment over the horns, but the problem is that you have a big hole in front of your box where mud can get into. Eventually, I sent that back and got a refund and purchased a much more expensive CAI kit, an aFe Momentum with a dry filter (FYI, I ordered the Volant kit with a dry filter and then they sent me an oiled filter. When I asked about it, they said they didn't make a dry filter for that particular kit). When I installed the aFE, I still had a fitment issue and figured out that I had to adjust the ABS actuator mount bracket extension down in order to get the box to fit. No where was this ever mentioned in any instructions for either kit.
So, I really like the aFe Momentum CAI kit. It has a widow to see the filter. Removing the filter is pretty easy: loosen the clamp that hold the filter to the box and the clamp on the throttle body to remove the whole intake tube and cone filter as an assembly. It pulls air from the stock inlet on the inner fenderwell, but you can remove a plug in the front to allow air to come into the box from the front, as well, if you wish. It's a well-designed kit, but comes at a price; when I got mine, it listed at $450! I was able to get it for $396 with holiday discounts a couple of years ago. At the time, you could get the Volant kit for $175. The only advantage to an aftermarket CAI system would be if you are making additional modifications, such as lower restriction exhaust and custom engine tuning. The factory box is technically a "cold air intake" by design and works quite well for stock applications.

Factory intake vs. aFe Momentum CAI:

Factory box left & aFe box right:

·
5,729 Posts
Will send soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will send soon.
VERY cool of you whistler...especially since these are out of production...AND I've wanted one since factory ordering my truck in early 2015.

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got a cheapie off of ebay for $90. Dry filter, easy install, (actually pretty well made for the price) Felt a little more torque (Broke loose easier on wet until I changed tires) Sounds awesome. Not going to spend several hundred on the name brands. K&N is priced by their reputation rather than their performance in my opinion.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts