Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pro 4x Crew, in progress...
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some input on seepage that I have on the rear diff and the valve cover gasket (I think). That particular gasket was changed around 5000 Miles and still seems to be letting oil out. I'm more than a little bummed since the truck only has 24,000 on it and already seems to be "seeping" all over the place.

I'm attaching some images below (the large image size does make it look a little worse, lol).

First image is after they replaced a faulty gasket on the oil cap a year ago.
Second image is after I cleaned the same area to have a reference (same day as above).
Third image is the same spot almost a year later.

What are others experience with this? Does anyone have a Frontier at 100,000 that's still tight?
Am I right to think this is too frequent and premature for a 20 month old car?

Thanks for any advice.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Vehicle
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Machine tool
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Bumper

·
Registered
Great truck
1,229 Posts
i think you are right, i don't think a vehicle that new should be leaking like that. my 2017 titan doesn't have seepage like that

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think you are right, i don't think a vehicle that new should be leaking like that. my 2017 titan doesn't have seepage like that
Thanks, I feel like that should be common sense, right? Nissan says 'Seepage" is not a leak.... Well, it probably will be a full on leak right about the time my warranty expires.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I’ve got 35k and no seepage. What did they replace, an oil cap gasket?

·
Premium Member
2016 Frontier Pro-4X 5.6L AT
63 Posts
Rear diffs are known to leak over time from the cover. Best solution is to replace the cover and get a lube locker gasket. I could tell mine had been leaking for a while slowly, but after 100k and a faulty rear diff breather, it was time to replace it. I went with an ARB cover and the offroad gorilla breather kit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got some bad luck, both swapped and seeping again 🤕. I’m wondering if they even changed it or just brake cleaned the bad area and said they changed it?
Well, had it in today and they replaced the gasket again and checked the cover for spec. They claim a former employee who did the work might not have torqued everything down right. Time will tell. Hopefully this will fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts