1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
86 Posts
I actually just read that article - interesting indeed! Too bad they don’t offer an option for the Fronty.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'll bet the personal injury lawyers are already lining up...

·
Registered
73 Posts
No big deal if they done the engineering right. Mopar sells a couple of lifts for the Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
“It’s less about off road capabilities,it’s a lift kit for the looks”. Director of marketing. That is stupid if you ask me!

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
“It’s less about off road capabilities,it’s a lift kit for the looks”. Director of marketing. That is stupid if you ask me!
Not really dumb. Buyers can have it installed, roll the cost in to the monthly payment and it has no affect on the warranty. For the general public, it makes all the sense. I've tried explaining my Titan swap and near 10" of front wheel travel to persons who ask why my wheels poke out and always get the deer in the headlights look and they just ask "so how many inches of lift is it?"

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
i think the bigger picture we need to see here.

after many many years of "aftermarkets" dominating, the manufactures see there is a real value to offering "wild" styles from the factory.
much more lucrative to sell someone a vehicle with a bunch of **** on it than to sell them a base Car, then they go blow 20k in upgrades.

it might sound stupid to a few, but those fat cats are finally seeing the potential of people wanting more out of OEM.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
Dealers have been relatively quietly offering wheel and tire packages for the last several years too, specifically to let those upgrades be rolled into the loan.

As pointed out that Jeep dealers have had OEM-supported lifts, some dealers will do aftermarket lifts on new vehicles to roll them into the loan too. Daystar Products' lift for the Jeep Renegade could have been added at the dealer if we'd wanted to. The lift itself wouldn't have had a factory warranty but they stated that the work being done by a dealer would prevent invalidating other chassis warranties unrelated to the lift.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Not really dumb. Buyers can have it installed, roll the cost in to the monthly payment and it has no affect on the warranty. For the general public, it makes all the sense. I've tried explaining my Titan swap and near 10" of front wheel travel to persons who ask why my wheels poke out and always get the deer in the headlights look and they just ask "so how many inches of lift is it?"
Does this increase wheel travel? No. This does nothing to improve off road capabilities. They said it, not me.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
Does this increase wheel travel? No. This does nothing to improve off road capabilities. They said it, not me.
wheel travel is not the only measure of improved offroad performance. The ability to run larger tires has advantages in some conditions, such as being able to increase ground-clearance by running a tire diameter bigger than fits in normal ride-height.

Granted, a spacer-lift (which I assume this is, since wheel travel isn't changed, and I would be very surprised if they would do a body-lift) doesn't give much improvement, but to say that it does nothing isn't entirely accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
wheel travel is not the only measure of improved offroad performance. The ability to run larger tires has advantages in some conditions, such as being able to increase ground-clearance by running a tire diameter bigger than fits in normal ride-height.

Granted, a spacer-lift (which I assume this is, since wheel travel isn't changed, and I would be very surprised if they would do a body-lift) doesn't give much improvement, but to say that it does nothing isn't entirely accurate.
It is a adjustable coilover lift. A set of Bilsteins will do the same thing. https://www.race-dezert.com/home/mopar-ram-runner-wins-truck-duel-in-the-desert-31616.html
this actually improves off road capabilities.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
RIP,Chad Ragland.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Where did you see that? I didn't see it in the article or video attached.

Same question as above.

Saw the story yesterday, stopped reading after I read the word "Icon".
I'm curious as to why? From everything I've seen Icon makes good stuff. If this is their coilovers with upper control arms and rear shocks, I'd imagine this would be a good kit.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I'm curious as to why? From everything I've seen Icon makes good stuff. If this is their coilovers with upper control arms and rear shocks, I'd imagine this would be a good kit.
...because I just wanted to stop reading about it.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts