Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are my options for a somewhat secure bed cover that doesn't take up a lot of room or get in the way?

I saw something in a video that was a rolling cover that went back sort of like a garage door, but I'm thinking those waste a lot of space up near the cab?

Saw something that looked like it was a three panel job that when open stacked on the back panel, but then what happens if I need the whole bed?

Somewhat related, forum search doesn't work for me at all. No results for even common words. Not sure what's going on there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree with the Undercover, it does take about 4" at the head of the bed,
but since I retired I do a lot of demolition (mostly for my kids) work requiring
regular runs to the dump. There's nothing I couldn't load in the bed after installing
the cover that I could load before.

But just as importantly... it takes just two minutes to remove it if you
just want it out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just got a Gator/Retrax last week. Install was a breeze and it's about as secure as they come. Takes about a foot of bed space toward the cab, but you can still use the entire floor since the canister sits up off deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
How secure are you talking? In reality, any roll up cover that has an inside latching mechanism and the tailgate locked is going to keep "opportunity" thieves away.

Yeah, but how secure is anything these days? I can go to Harbor Freight, buy a cheap
battery powered circular saw and cut through the wall or roof of most houses in three
minutes.

Discouraging opportunity theft is the best we can reasonably expect, we still have to
use good judgement about what we're willing to risk to go about our lives. ::smile::

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, but how secure is anything these days? I can go to Harbor Freight, buy a cheap
battery powered circular saw and cut through the wall or roof of most houses in three
minutes.

Discouraging opportunity theft is the best we can reasonably expect, we still have to
use good judgement about what we're willing to risk to go about our lives. ::smile::
Why do we lock our house when we leave? To keep the wind from opening it up and having the coyotes make themselves at home!

Long ago I realized if a thief wants your stuff unless you have some sort of an alarm he will get it, all a lock does is increase the level of damage inflicted in getting your stuff...

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I agree with the Undercover, it does take about 4" at the head of the bed,
but since I retired I do a lot of demolition (mostly for my kids) work requiring
regular runs to the dump. There's nothing I could load in the bed after installing
the cover that I couldn't load before.

But just as importantly... it takes just two minutes to remove it if you
just want it out of the way.
How did you mount your hi lift? I like the fact that they are not mounted on the utility trac. Welded studs?

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's a homemade mount. Some 3/16 x 1" bar stock and some nuts and bolts from Home Depot along
with a couple pieces of UHMW plastic I keep around for making woodworking jigs.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
https://bakflip.com/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover.html

I went with the Bakflip MX-4 for the same reason. I never got a bed cover on my old truck but this one I really wanted to use for hauling as well as using the bed securely. It seals up from the outside, no open keyholes or anywhere to gain access or let water in. When it folds up it is 99% out of the way but if you really need it completely gone you can just undo the two thumb screws and take it off/on in less than 5 minutes.

Everything stays dry and safe and I still have enough room to haul a 4-wheeler/camping supplies etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a $200 bought on amazon roll up style that i can secure at the top. Works fine not loss of space in the bed at all.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Excuse the yellowish tint too it. (Pollen is bad in ga right now) ive had the truxedo lopro for a couple of years now and havent found anything wrong with it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Excuse the yellowish tint too it. (Pollen is bad in ga right now) ive had the truxedo lopro for a couple of years now and havent found anything wrong with it.
What are those rails on the top of the bed? Where did you get them?

They look pretty nice, I might wanna put those on mine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
What are those rails on the top of the bed? Where did you get them?

They look pretty nice, I might wanna put those on mine.
Sorry for the late reply. And they came with the truck. And yea their good for looks. That's about all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.