Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Completed my third trail run in the George Washington National Forest. This time I was accompanied by my daughter and we did the Second Mountain Trail coming in from the North on Long Run Road to end at Rt. 33. I followed Google to the Gospel Hill Mennonite Church and took Long Run Road that runs literally behind the church. Long Run Road was in good shape and I ran it in 2WD. I did air down my tires to 25 psi's to make the gravel road feel more smoother. I didn't engage 4WD until we were on the Second Mountain Trail. We were surprised to see ice in the puddles and slight snow flurries. Besides the mud holes, the trail was dry and easily passable. A couple of times my daughter thought we were going to be stuck in the mud but we made it out easily with some acceleration. Hearing the snap and crackle of the electricity as we passed under the power lines surprised my daughter. At the end of the trail, We were pleasantly surprised to find the gate near Rt. 33 to be opened. We thought we were going to have to turn around and re-run the trail back to Long Run Road. We ended our trail run and saved Dictum Ridge Trail for another day. Overall, I rate the Second Mountain Trail as easy to moderate. We had a great time just spending time together and being bounced around on the trail!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
TOJ66, glad to hear you had an easy run. Our run back in March in GW was quite technical, at least in my view. Thankfully none of the four trucks ( including mine ) in the group suffered any issues but the trail was very narrow and rocky and climbing the almost continuous grade, both my engine and transmission gauges were very rapidly approaching readings making me quite uncomfortable. Everyone got home okay but we did reverse out of the trail prior to the summit, when we hit a wider spot that was just wide enough to accommodate a 41' turning radius. But it was definitely a great time, we got to gentler pastures and stopped and grabbed pictures while enjoying sandwiches and chips that we had brought along.

Reactions: Munga Brown

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sounds like fun, but I see no action... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts