Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

Bought an 05 frontier new in 06, (Nismo) access cab, 6' bed, drove it to 150k and just this week bought a '16 access (king?) cab SL with a 6' bed. Looking around here for thoughts on the few little things that I dealt with on the 05, (weak tailgate hinges, power window motors, rad/coolant/transmission failures, etc) happy to have all this body of knowledge and experience to read.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Congrats! IFF you bought an 'SL' - it is a Crew Cab (CC) w/ a long bed. An SV can be had in both CC and KC (King Cab)...the CC can be had w/ either a short bed or long bed. SLs are all CC with either a short or long bed.
LOTS to learn around here...enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.. It must be a SV.. It is very similar to my (late) 05 NISMO, I think the Miami had bloating shocks and had diff lock, otherwise it's the same. A couple of nice upgrades that I did not expect, and NISMO did not have, but am enjoying, outdoor temp display on rear view mirror, aux, and USB in center consol, and Bluetooth which works very good for phone calls. In fact in first few uses, I find it far superior to the Bluetooth phone system in my Audi Q7, in terms audio clarity on both sides of the conversation. I may look this up over in 'general discussion' but I note that I really have to pull - almost "slam' the driver door to close it, I light swing shut will not close it all the wY. Wonder if that will right itself as seals loose some of their strength?

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Could need a subtle adjustment (made by the dealer)? Will say that I need a semi-solid pull or push to fully close door on my SV KC. Slamming not necessary.

Is yours auto or manual trans? Either way, sounds like you have the VTP items (Value Truck Package) which would include the Utilitrack rails in the bed as well as a Class IV hitch.

Bluetooth works great in mine as well...though there are some complaints around here re: reception.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is an automatic. I had found a 2012 king cab 6 speed in Mass (with 30k miles), that was for sale certified pre-owned, and was about to travel there from maine and go through it all etc... but in the end I wimped out and got the (new) '16 here in Maine. Not my original plan, but just so many things going on I did not have time to chase this.

But yes, like the NISMO, this vehicle has the bed liner and tracks, and it also came with not only the hitch, but also the $300 ish wiring harness, the very same one that I finally installed on my old NISMO after about 9 years of ownership and several U-Haul etc places trying to hook up trailer light harness by connecting to break lights and turn signals etc to absolutely no avail, so finally last year local shop ordered the special wiring harness and wired it back through the truck form the fuse box area to the rear and of course it worked perfectly. It was nice to see that this new truck has this all in place. And it also has backup camera and back up beepers, which I would not have gone out of my way to get, but as it came with that package, fair enough.

So I will see about the door, It just drives me nuts when people 'slam' car doors, instead of just clunking them shut, and so I can't just 'clunk' these shut.

Not sure what the 'reception" issue might be for some. The phone itself is still the transmitting device, not the truck radio, right? So not sure. I am noticing a fair amount of Sat Radio loss, as I enjoy the free subscription, I need to compare it to my other car to see if it is truck shark fin antenna/system, or just the area I live in.

Thanks very much for the welcome however.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have to make sure my doors close tight. Love the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
The back-up camera & sonar come in real handy in parking lots. Wait til someone walks or drives past when you might think you're ready to proceed. My appreciation goes up even more since I sport a bedshell contributing to rearward tunnel vision.
Yep, you will love your new Frontier!

My '15 SV replaced my '00 XE 4-banger ROCK of dependability (see sig below). So, HUGE shoes for this new one to fill...but she sure does get up to speed nicely!

·
Vendor
2,847 Posts
Welcome on board! Thanks for joining us. Lots of very informed members on here with a wealth of information, so you've come to the right place! Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions at all, we are always happy to help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the club!
I'm on my second frontier as well, my first one was a 2006 Nismo KC, current one is a 2016 SV KC...both 4x4 V6 auto

1 - 12 of 12 Posts