1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Frontier SV 4x4
16" Level 8 wheels 265/70/R16 Cooper ATP
27K miles

My passenger seat started rattling a couple weeks ago. Once I started hearing it, I noticed that the seat shook pretty good when empty. After doing some research here I found the two TSB's for seat shake. The truck is still under warranty, so I took it in. They said the TSBs didn't apply, but that my seat was indeed busted. It had been shaking so bad it egged out a few holes, so they ordered me an entire new seat frame. The tech put it in and test drove it, rattle gone but seat still shaking. They told me the tech then put a set of stock wheels / tires on and the shaking stopped.

So, directly after picking the truck up I went back to Discount to have my wheels / tires checked (I bought them back in October). They re-balanced them and put a different kind of lug nut on, said there was no hub-centric spacer available. This was all today. On the ride home, the seat was shaking just like it used to, its only a matter of time before this one breaks I think.

The odd thing is it doesn't feel like anything is out of balance. The truck rides like ****, shure, but I always thought that was just because it was a truck.

I'm looking for advice on where to go from here. New shocks, bilsteins or ranchos? Trade the SOB in? I still have the stock wheels, I could try and get some stock rubber back on this thing.

Any suggestions? Do upgraded shocks make that much of a difference, smooth out the ride a bit?

-Beau

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Sounds like the wheels &/or tires are your culprit? Would 'Road Force Balancing' be worthwhile in this scenario?

Do your OEM wheels still have tires on them? Might be worth a try swapping them on.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Beau M you asked where to go from here you answered your own question in the trip to the dealer when tech putting stock back on its either the rims tires or combination throwing parts at a problem isn't an answer

·
Registered
338 Posts
The seat will shake with even stock wheels and tires on it. It is well documented on here. My truck does it and I am 100% stock. I too have a 2014 SV and I got the truck with only 19k miles on it. The passenger seat has been shaking and making noise since day 2. Well it may have been day 1 but I was so giddy over my new truck I didn't even notice :D. Best way I have found to fix this is to fold the seat flat when nobody is sitting in it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
IDK what I read was they told Beau M and he confirmed that what they said its gone with stock wheels and tires. I've had mine since 13k now 80 something on mine it doesn't shake I have the oe rims and 265/75/16 falken tires.

In other words the tech and dealer were lying to Beau M which doesn't surprise anyone the seats gotta be over $1k+ as I had to replace the power seat track on 00' camry over 15yrs ago and they wanted $800 for that I did it for $50 from a junky.

I say either take it another dealer see what they say or Beau 5 do you know anyone else with a frontier that you can try the oe back on and confirm the dealer is lying I'd make a recording of it both ways and take it with you b4 seat does break again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I think the plan now is to go back to the dealer. I'm in pretty good with the used salesman, they have my exact truck on the lot. Same color and within 2K miles. I'm going to test drive it for a bit and see how that one rides.

·
Registered
338 Posts
IDK what I read was they told Beau M and he confirmed that what they said its gone with stock wheels and tires. I've had mine since 13k now 80 something on mine it doesn't shake I have the oe rims and 265/75/16 falken tires.

In other words the tech and dealer were lying to Beau M which doesn't surprise anyone the seats gotta be over $1k+ as I had to replace the power seat track on 00' camry over 15yrs ago and they wanted $800 for that I did it for $50 from a junky.

I say either take it another dealer see what they say or Beau 5 do you know anyone else with a frontier that you can try the oe back on and confirm the dealer is lying I'd make a recording of it both ways and take it with you b4 seat does break again.
If yours does not shake you are fortunate. When I noticed mine shaking I quickly came on here for a search and it turned up a lot of threads with people with this issue. Then I noticed there was several TSB's on the issue. So this seems to be a fairly common issue on Frontiers. As I said I just fold the seat down. Also depending on the position of the seat the vibration and noises change. Sometimes I get it in a sweet spot and minimal shake and no noises with the seat not folded.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think new shocks would help?

I'm not opposed to taking the seat apart and welding in a ton of gussets.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I find it hard to believe the truck would need new shocks this early in its life. Have you put the OE wheels back on to confirm that the issue goes away? That would be the first course of action.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find it hard to believe the truck would need new shocks this early in its life. Have you put the OE wheels back on to confirm that the issue goes away? That would be the first course of action.
I have the OE wheels, but no tires mounted to them. I suppose I could have my current tires mounted just to see if there is a difference, should only be $100 or so.

But on the other hand, lots of people on here have seat shake / crap ride quality. Maybe that's just how they are? I'm going back to the dealership to test drive a stock truck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My truck had the same problem when I bought it. I didn't notice it on the test drive because the sales guy was sitting in it and it did not rattle when occupied. Dealer installed a new seat frame under warranty and I have had no problems since, that was about 4 years ago. Still using original wheels and tires. The seat shakes and vibrates a bit but I don't care as long as it doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My passenger seat in my '12 CC Pro 4 had crazy rattle as well. After exploring, I found the bolts to the seat back to have loosen up. I tightened up the 2 bolts that bolts the seat back rest to the seat bottom. Check those bolts, located on each side on the lower back. Just lean the seat foward and lift up the upholstery flap and move the sponge in the corner and you'll see them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To clarify it shakes with the aftermarket wheels but not stock?

Seems pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am curious about the different lug nuts the tech put on at Discount Tire. Are your wheels using cone lugs? If the wheel isn't tightly installed to a hub centric surface it could cause damage/vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
To clarify it shakes with the aftermarket wheels but not stock?

Seems pretty straight forward.
Agreed. While the tire shop says everything is balanced, I'd take it back and ask why when the dealership put on OEM wheels the vibration goes away. Tire? Wheel? Tires? Wheels? Proper lug nuts? (etc)
Ask about Road Force Balancing.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have the OE wheels, but no tires mounted to them. I suppose I could have my current tires mounted just to see if there is a difference, should only be $100 or so.

But on the other hand, lots of people on here have seat shake / crap ride quality. Maybe that's just how they are? I'm going back to the dealership to test drive a stock truck.
My seat has always moved alot while driving. At a certain point it began to make noise while it was shaking and i was able to adjust the seat to a position (still comfortable for passengers) where the noise stopped. They shake, that is just how they are.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They shake, that is just how they are.
Same thing the dealer said. They still replaced my $$$ seat frame because it was broken from the shaking.

I test drove a stock truck yesterday. It rode a BIT better, but yup the seat was shaking pretty good. If mine starts rattling again I'll take it apart and weld in a bunch of gussets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The saga continues.

I took the truck back to the tire place, they said the tires were indeed out of balance, and re-balanced them. I felt no difference.

I went back in again and they made me a somewhat good deal on a set of new tires, the Michelin Defender LTX. Supposedly they are really good for ride quality and highway driving.

After sitting in the waiting room for a while, they guy comes out and says "I need to show you something". That's never good. They had stripped out one of the wheel studs behind the rotor so they couldn't get the lug nut off, which means the wheel couldn't come off. Awesome.

So, now I have to go to another shop to have that fixed and pray they don't jack up my wheel in the process, and then go BACK to the tire place to get the new tires put on.

I've spent way too much time in the tire shop waiting room lately.

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Put the Michelins on your stock wheels FTW.
Good luck w/ it all. Sometimes aftermarket wheels don't work out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

New seat is shaking and rattling. I put on some bilstein shocks, no difference. It's not the truck, it's this stupid double folding seat. I took it apart seeing if I could weld in some supports or something, I don't see an easy way to do so. I'm keeping an eye out on CL for some Xterra or Pro-4x seats.

The seat thing is driving me nuts.

I'm even open to some aftermarket seats. I see threads on here asking if 350z seats fit, but I don't see anyone that's done it. Anyone know of aftermarket seats that use the factory sliders?

I want to trade this POS in due to a noisy seat, it's ludicrous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts