Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck will go on one more trip before she goes under the knife. I have a set of Total Chaos UCA ready to mount but I was thinking that maybe I should seal up that uniball before install them. I searched for ages for this thread about an Aussie member doing so. I guess exposed joints/balls are a no no in Australia. Reason I had a hard time finding it was cause it was in the site sponsor-prg section.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f43/seals-prg-uca-66053/#post3120201

This is what my front suspension looks like during the winter. You can see why I might want to cover that ball.

Anyone have any experience doing so. TC thinks that I should keep the ball exposed, and just wipe them down once in a while. They are SS and should not rust.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,804 Posts
I want to come up with something to cover my uniballs as well. We have so much wetness and sandy grit on our roads, I am pounding out the bearings all the time - lucky to get two years out of a set.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to come up with something to cover my uniballs as well. We have so much wetness and sandy grit on our roads, I am pounding out the bearings all the time - lucky to get two years out of a set.
2 years!! I am going to have to come up with something.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
226 Posts
Any updates ?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any updates ?
Bringing back this thread from the dead since I have updates. Man I take a long time to get stuff done.

These work well. I was inspecting/cleaning my uni-balls last night, and have some long term updates. The bottom boot seals up very nicely and sits on a grove in the misalignment spacer. In the picture above I have the upper boot crushed under the washer of the uniball's through bolt. This did not work. Instead if you simply slip the boot over the hex head it works surprising well. Like in the picture below. It takes a few weeks sitting in place for the silicon boot to conform to the top the uni-ball seat. I remove it once in a while to clean the ball and there is minimal dirt compare to the other side that does not have a top boot. Remember to mark the location of the boot so you can reinstall it in the same orientation.

I have continued to experiment with various boots and covers. From this thread I have been messsing with using 1.5" PVC covers glued in place. I finally glue another one on last night with silicon. Did not make any kind of vent. Drove to work in heavy slush and they stayed on fine. Mine are white and did not paint them black. My first attempt with with a flat top cap. That got knock or fell off within a week.
https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/uca-dust-covers-under-15-a-204465/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts