Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some 8-foot long 2x4s (just a dozen!) last night from the hardware store. I leaned them very carefully on the tailgate so that they're sticking out perhaps one and a half feet. I got home and took them out and find permanent scratches on the top of the tailgate! I didn't expect this. The tailgate has a plastic shell around it which got scuffed.

I'm riding a 2019 S Frontier king cab (this is the smaller cab with "backwards" rear doors, right?).

What do you all do? Should I be lining the thing every time I haul something? Should I be replacing this plastic shell?

·
Rogue Admin
13,272 Posts
If you don't like scratches on a truck tail gate, perhaps looking into having the lip and tailgate hit with liner. Sounds like you are going to use it as a truck is meant, so yu may consider having the whole box sprayed (if yours didn't come factory with liner).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
See if your hardware store has home delivery.
Pretty much. I have some huge scratches in the clearcoat, passenger's side where I got "pinstriped" heading in to do some offroading. I think they'll buff out, mostly, when I get around to it. If you wanted a pavement princess, should have bought a Tacoma. Or as suggested above, get some bedliner and coat the plastic surfaces. That should remediate most of it.

Reactions: Wheel and lmat

·
Registered
188 Posts
An old towel, like a bathroom hand towel or cut down/folded bath towel will serve as a pretty good buffer for the tailgate next time. An old t-shirt, etc.

I did not read that you had secured your load to keep it from bouncing around. Even if you have no tie-down anchor points, a few bungees, a strap, or even rope to hold them together at each end as a bundle will prevent indiv. sticks from bouncing around. One bundle of 12 2x4s is deadweight, 12 light, loose sticks will have minds of their own.

Aftermarket plastic and aluminum tailgate top edge protectors, specific to your truck, are available to cover the scuffs and prevent new ones. But always secure your load, it's probably the law in your area, anyway.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
maybe go with a diamond plate for the top?

·
Registered
570 Posts
You could also open the tailgate and lay the material down flat. It won't slide out if you tie it down properly, and it's less likely to damage both the material and your truck.

If you don't have any tie-downs, you might want to pick some up. I'd start with two lightweight ratchet straps, two lightweight camlock straps, and two small moving blankets.

What I would do is take two ratchet straps and lay them on the bed of the truck from side-to-side. Then put your 2x4s on top. Lay them on the "4" side, and stack them 3 across and 4 high. Then loop the ratchet straps over the stack so you are creating a bundle. Then hook the ratchet straps to the corner tie-downs and ratchet down.

I use ratchet straps for tightening things at odd angles and camlocks for tightening things quickly. I also follow the idea of "half the straps can break and you should make it to the shoulder without losing the load".

·
Registered
319 Posts
What I would do is get my **** to the house ,,,unload it, finish my project, crack open a Mic Ultra and chill the f^#& out,,,,

EDITED: To say I cannot believe the f word made it past the censors, I had to censor it mice elf

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,371 Posts
I have ratcheting straps and Mule tape. I have a spool of the Mule tape at home and always keep around 100' of it in my truck to tie things down if need be. I've even used it as a short distance tow strap once.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I got some 8-foot long 2x4s (just a dozen!) last night from the hardware store. I leaned them very carefully on the tailgate so that they're sticking out perhaps one and a half feet. I got home and took them out and find permanent scratches on the top of the tailgate! I didn't expect this. The tailgate has a plastic shell around it which got scuffed.

I'm riding a 2019 S Frontier king cab (this is the smaller cab with "backwards" rear doors, right?).

What do you all do? Should I be lining the thing every time I haul something? Should I be replacing this plastic shell?
Just throw a towel over the gate when hauling.

Reactions: lmat

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have ratcheting straps and Mule tape. I have a spool of the Mule tape at home and always keep around 100' of it in my truck to tie things down if need be. I've even used it as a short distance tow strap once.
I never thought about using Mule tape. I keep a roll of 5" stretch wrap that I use as disposable tie downs and also to prevent the corners of things from getting damaged. For example, I'll stack 6 totes on a hand truck and wrap them with stretch wrap so they don't fall over. Or if I have some loose parts, I'll bundle them with stretch wrap so they stay together and don't move around. I found that the green stretch wrap from Home Depot works the best and comes on a spool that easily unwinds.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I never thought about using Mule tape. I keep a roll of 5" stretch wrap that I use as disposable tie downs and also to prevent the corners of things from getting damaged. For example, I'll stack 6 totes on a hand truck and wrap them with stretch wrap so they don't fall over. Or if I have some loose parts, I'll bundle them with stretch wrap so they stay together and don't move around. I found that the green stretch wrap from Home Depot works the best and comes on a spool that easily unwinds.
It's very strong. Most people have never even heard of Mule Tape.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I thought that's what the purpose of the tailgate cap was for?!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Original poster: Life is tough.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

Should you ever need to load up, secure and travel with a 32' extension ladder....I can tell you exactly how I do it.
First time I did it reminded me of those old bumper cars with the poles that scraped and sparked the ceiling grid.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts