Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to remove my engine ski plate yesterday so that I can do an inspection and fluid change of my front diff. All but one of the bolts comes out easily. On the aft portion of the skid are two bolts that thread into the cross memember. The X-member is fully boxed however two of the holes are threaded. I assume the member starts out as a channel, nut are welding in place, then it is capped and welded. Well I must have busted on of the nuts, for no amount of cranking would undo it. It jsut spun. End appiling downward force on the head of the bolt while cranking did nothing. I finally had to take a grinder and cut the head off the bolt. That worked and the skid was removed.

How what. I have a threaded post with a nut on the back end dangling from my x-member. One bolt on the back end is not secure enough. Should I jsut drill through and use a long bolt and a nut on top. What about the existing bolt.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
That sounds like your only option at this point. Only other thing would be to tap the hole but that will only get stripped. If you could get a welder in there, you could re-weld another nut but that is next to impossible.

If you drill thru it thou, it may be worth using a larger hole on top so that the bolt head will drop completely thru, then you can use a shorter bolt and you don't have to worry about compressing the box section. If not, maybe use a sleeve to ensure the section doing get distorted while torquing the bolt down.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
This has happened to me to. The nuts are only spot wielded on. I just fish the bolt through the side gap and drop it in the holes were the nut used to be.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has happened to me to. The nuts are only spot wielded on. I just fish the bolt through the side gap and drop it in the holes were the nut used to be.
SO you first fished the busted nut and half a bolt out throught the side. then fished in a new bolt. But how do you hold the top of the bolt head when tourqing. I guess you just got lucky and it self snugged.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I didn't try to get the nut. It will come out on it's own.
As for tourqing it down, I put a screwdriver in one of the other holes that was by the bolt so I could put pressure on the head of the bolt as I tighten the nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts