Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do many of you use the schedule 1 maintenance guidelines, even if you primarily do highway driving?

I make a few <5 mile trips, but most trips are 45-65 mph, 25 miles or more. I want to take good care of the truck (I estimate after 4 years I'll have 100K or more miles on it) and will do the Schedule 1 if it makes sense.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I think I run schedule 2.
Actually, I change my oil every 6 months or 10,000 miles which ever is first.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Most people don't exactly follow the exact schedule 1 or 2 or 3 or etc....

To make it simple:

Oil - 5k for syn 3k for dino
Trans d/f - 15k
Trans flush (if not doing d/f) - 30k
Diffs - 15k
PS fluid - 2-3yrs
Brake Fluid - Whenever brakes are touched (pads, rotors)
Cabin Filter - yearly
Coolant d/f - 2yrs or sooner
Coolant flush (if not doing d/f) - 3-4yrs or so

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow

That seems a little excessive, for example changing diff fluid every 15k miles? Wow. I've never touched it on any vehicle before.

I can see it if I drove off-road or on dirt roads but I am 95 percent highway.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that seems pretty intense... 15k diff changes on a truck that is 95 percent hwy driven? Not debating, just a little surprised.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am mostly highway and I pretty much follow what dubie posted, I however do the ps yearly, oil whether syn or dino @ 3k or every 2mos., coolant yearly. My old *** BMW gets new oil every 1-1.5k, trans, diff, ps, coolant and brakes every year. I do keep Valvoline in business!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
This is a common misconception between people. City vs. Hwy driving does not really change the intervals in which things should be changed. City wears thru pads and produces extra emissions and etc... while hwy produces heat and etc....

If you are looking to keep the vehicle for a long time and don't want to have issues, then change fluids early. If you are planning on just selling it and want to be cheap, then follow some schedule so it sounds better when you are selling it later. If you just don't care, then stretch everything out as much as possible but don't complain when things fail.

For the diffs, gears wear and vents fail, its a fact. If you never service them, you won't know the issue until you are screwed and lets hope that is within your warranty period.

Nissan does use a new long life coolant but that coolant goes thru hell and back in the motor. I know they now say 100k but 25 is max-ish in my book. Hot - Cold cycles break it down. Plus, the Tstat doesn't last forever, it needs to be changed too.

The funny part is that if you do all of this yourself, it doesn't add anything to the cost of maintance as compared to paying a shop to follow the maintance schedule.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Xactly, My Bimmer barely gets driven now, spends its life sitting and going around the block on occasion, I start it about once a week and still change the oil on a regular basis. When I had my shop, I had a customer that just traveled from place to place and I was changing her oil literally every 2 weeks (about 2000 miles), she had 300+k on this BMW and the oil came out looking like when I put it in, I had to do a pan gasket on it as it developed a leak and while I was in there I pulled a main cap and 2 rod caps, they looked great, put it back together and off she went. She parked the car about a year later with over 400k on it and got a diesel truck, she probably still has the car.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Your driving appears to be about easiest possible on a motor - moderate speeds and long enough to heat up good - I'd use good full syn oil and change 3 times year - once before winter, once after winter, and again in middle of summer.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Maintenance is cheap compared engines, transmissions, rear ends, etc. If the maintenance is not done regularly the is a chance that the vehicles life can be shortened, this really isn't any different than going to doctors, dentists, etc., just less expensive. Synthetic, conventional doesn't matter, just change it regularly before it starts breaking down and everything is happy. Next thing you know you have 100k on your vehicle and everything internally is in great shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts