Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
RStick, I bought mine at autozone maybe 2 months ago, and it had the up to date “firmware” but still had to code in the ATF codes.
On that website it tells you what’s the most recent firmware and I’m sure all the units at auto places are up to date. But you still need to code in the codes from the website

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had written their support people to ask a couple questions, and just found the answer interesting to one of my questions and thought you might like to know. I had asked the reasons for the two different temps...

This was the response:

The XGauge that updates faster and fluctuates more often is going to be at the torque converter. The XGauge that is slower and stays around the same, is going to be at the pan.
Thanks! Great info. I reconfigured a little. I would imagine AT2 is the converter since it jumped around a bit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I do not think anyone out there makes any device that will read a Nissan's trans temp. What year truck? You will have to put an aftermarket trans temp sensor on the trans yourself and use a gauge to read the temp. Can you plug a temp sensor into your scan gauge?
If you do not tow then trans temp is not a big deal until you start to rock crawl, or do any off-roading where you go slow (spin the torque converter a lot and create a lot of heat in the TC).
Bullydog does also. If there is a factory sensor supported by the ECU you can read it. If not, a pyro can be purchased and added. To go that route there is also a com hub that needs to be added to plug the external pyros into, then they all go to the BD unit.
That said, after my attempts at communication with Bullydog, I get the very distinct impression they just don't give two sh**s about customer service, and it's more spendy than the Scanguage.

On the plus side, you get more options, tools, performance adjustments, and I download updates to a micro SD and install yourself. The big reason I got the BD was because mine is a '12 and to do away with the dreaded WOT restriction.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks. I get some good, but a lot of bad bad advice on this Frontier forum. There are post after post after post here that say there is no device that can read trans temp, and more post on top of more post. This is not the first bad advice I have gotten here. i used to own a diesel truck and those owners on the forum are right 99.99% of the time, unlike here, where you might get a right answer possibly.
Glad to see you actually made it work. I put in a temp sensor thinking that there was no way to read the trans temp from the computer...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thanks. I get some good, but a lot of bad bad advice on this Frontier forum. There are post after post after post here that say there is no device that can read trans temp, and more post on top of more post. This is not the first bad advice I have gotten here. i used to own a diesel truck and those owners on the forum are right 99.99% of the time, unlike here, where you might get a right answer possibly.
Glad to see you actually made it work. I put in a temp sensor thinking that there was no way to read the trans temp from the computer...
I just programmed mine and it works.. 👍

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
So far I have not mounted it but if I do the only place I see feasible is the cubby hole in console. I like how it fits sitting down in the tray on the forward angle but it makes placing items in there a little more difficult, we’ll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can send it back to them for an update. I think it's like $25. ...
It was 25$ + shipping to them. Turnaround was 1 day. For me it was upgrade from 3.0 to 4.53. All looks good and I have now trans case temp. They did wipe my initial setup but the redo took only a few minutes. Adjusting the fuel trip counter will take a tank but nothing unexpected.
Thanks for pointing out the upgrade option Cuda!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So what does this do that you couldn't get from a bluetooth ODB-II reader?
I picked one up of ebay for $5(?) and tie an old phone to it. It displays my speed [spedo and gps], engine temp, and CEL codes, voltage, etc.
You can pick about a half dozen codes to log and store to a text file or push to a server.
I've even used it to get out of a few traffic tickets.

There area few apps you can use. I'm partial to Torque (Lite) for Android.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have a 08 pathfinder along with my 2012 frontier.. can I switch between the two trucks and not have to reprogram anything? Will it still read the same gauges I have set for my truck or will it confuse the system?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a 08 pathfinder along with my 2012 frontier.. can I switch between the two trucks and not have to reprogram anything? Will it still read the same gauges I have set for my truck or will it confuse the system?
It will read the vehicles individually. As far as trans temps. you will be fine since you already downloaded the xgauge. (y)

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Admin
3,299 Posts
So what does this do that you couldn't get from a bluetooth ODB-II reader?
I'm partial to Torque (Lite) for Android.
I am a torque pro user. Love the app. It's been a few years since I really tried hard, but I put a lot of time and research into the app and reader, and the limitation that I could never figure out was transmission temperature for our trucks. I don't have Scanguage but you can see from the posts in this thread that Scanguage has it.

Reactions: cuda383

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was Pro worth the cost? I never could quite figure out the upload to server option, but that would go a long way for validating the logs if i have to go to court :)
The initial setup of the gauges is a bit of a PITA, and it's WAY too easy for them to revert to default, but other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the app.

·
Registered
245 Posts
How hard is it to add the trans temp stuff on a scan gauge? Do these read coolant temp and oil pressure? Really just want it for trans temp, coolant temp, oil pressure and probably voltage. Most importantly the trans and coolant temps for vacation pulling trailer with side by side to Colorado. Looking at ordering one pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
As long as the software is current, it takes about 15 minutes to input the X Gauge codes and get them working.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I’m not sure about oil pressure but the other three for sure. That’s what I had set up plus average mpg. Super easy and just a few minutes of your time... I’m old skool and had it setup in no time.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
It also depends on the year of your truck. Trans temp wasn’t available until 2008 (I think) or maybe 2009. I have a 2007 and it’s not there for Scangauge to display.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks yall. It's a 2016.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts