Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just received and quickly installed (just ran the cable under the floor mat temporarily) my ScanGauge II - purchased as I want to monitor my transmissions temps while towing. Setup both Transmission Temp 1 and 2 (not sure what the difference is yet or if only one or the other works....will test out later).

But, a quick read shows it does a lot of other stuff....are you using any of it? Much of it seems redundant to existing information already on the gauges. What have you found useful to add/display? Is it worth tracking fuel fillups etc?

Also would love to see where/how you mounted it if you got pics!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I only set up 1 for the trans temp. I would assume one is for inlet and the other outlet. I use water temp. as well because it's real time temp vs. a dummy gauge. Haven't set up fuel, just hand calculate now and then.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@AndysLog - I just did it and it was fairly easy....

First, I found the options for transmission temps on the ScanGauge web site....

Then, on the ScanGauge home screen.....

MORE --> MORE --> (cycle left/right until you see XGAUGE) --> EDIT

I chose XGAUGE location 1 and XGAUGE location 2 (as both were empty), and created TT1 and TT2 respectively, and entered the above data in each....seems to work.

You can then choose them on the main GAUGE screen to display live data.

@cuda383 - great idea on the water temp...I'll be adding that too. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same older Gauge here, about 7/8 years old. I do not have your options.
For me its rpm, mph speed and water temp.
Fid a while the fill up but my onboard calculation dte and molage is good enough.
Mounted it with a strip of 3M , wire routed undrr dash.
IMG_20200502_124257.jpg

·
Registered
846 Posts
Fid a while the fill up but my onboard calculation dte and molage is good enough.
Mounted it with a strip of 3M , wire routed undrr dash. View attachment 318478
You can send it back to them for an update. I think it's like $25. Nice mounting by the way. I have to get the 3M strip a little tighter up there.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You can send it back to them for an update. I think it's like $25. Nice mounting by the way. I have to get the 3M strip a little tighter up there.
That's what I did. I sent in my ScanGauge to get the firmware updates. TBH, I think they sent me a new one the first time because the case wasn't scratched.

I use mine for the trip meter (miles to empty) since the gas gauge is woefully pessimistic. I have it set to RPM, water temp, battery voltage, and engine load.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do not think anyone out there makes any device that will read a Nissan's trans temp. What year truck? You will have to put an aftermarket trans temp sensor on the trans yourself and use a gauge to read the temp. Can you plug a temp sensor into your scan gauge?
If you do not tow then trans temp is not a big deal until you start to rock crawl, or do any off-roading where you go slow (spin the torque converter a lot and create a lot of heat in the TC).

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's what I did. I sent in my ScanGauge to get the firmware updates. TBH, I think they sent me a new one the first time because the case wasn't scratched.

I use mine for the trip meter (miles to empty) since the gas gauge is woefully pessimistic. I have it set to RPM, water temp, battery voltage, and engine load.
Good idea on battery voltage since that's a dummy gauge as well(y)

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had written their support people to ask a couple questions, and just found the answer interesting to one of my questions and thought you might like to know. I had asked the reasons for the two different temps...

This was the response:

The XGauge that updates faster and fluctuates more often is going to be at the torque converter. The XGauge that is slower and stays around the same, is going to be at the pan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine is mounted on the corner of the dash, wire up through the speaker grill.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had to do the X gauge updates and code in for the ATF. But since then it reads it 100%. Just takes a little time.

water temp, avg mpg, rpm, atf

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
My Scanguage is mounted with velcro to the top of my review mirror, had to buy an,extended OBD cable. I monitor trans, voltage and instant mpg. The trans temps are pan and output to cooler.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Mounted it with a strip of 3M , wire routed undrr dash. View attachment 318478
To get those options, you'll need to send your unit in to Scanguage for a software update, IIRC its like $25 or $30.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Depends on how new, in the last 2 yrs, it should. More than 2 yrs old, hard to say. IIRC, on the Scanguage website they have something about serial or software number to determine how current it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My concern would be ordering from amazon and getting old stock. or just cough up an extra $30 to order direct from their site so I Know I’m getting the latest firmware.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Reactions: RStrick
1 - 20 of 40 Posts