Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in light of the fact we no longer need a truck, we are saying goodbye to our loyal Frontier tomorrow. I never could figure out the knocking sound, not having dry and secure storage when dogs in back seat, and most of all we are tired of the fuel economy associated with this truck.

This was the best truck I have ever owned by a mile. Great vehicles and I am torn up just thinking about not having her any more. Wife is torn up too, as we are going to be without a truck for the first time in 7 years.

We will be back to the truck world in a year and a half as we will be getting a full sized diesel Ford at that point.

We are getting a 2004 Subaru Forester in its place. We have a 2006 Subaru Outback and love it, so the Forester seemed the logical thing.

Thanks for all the help these last few weeks

:)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Bad fuel economy = Going to a full size diesel truck? lol, Just kidding That sucks you are getting rid of the truck.

And if I was going to go with a different brand it would be Ford so props on that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHA Should have explained that logic.

We don't need a truck now, but my wife will graduate from Vet School and is going to be a large animal vet. So we'll need a truck then, and a bigger one.

Having said that, I have two friends with diesels and they both get more than 5mpg more than we do in both city and highway driving. My one friend with a Ford PSD gets 24 mpg on the highway and 20 in town!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the same feelings about selling my '04 Frontier... But when I had an '06 coming in it made me feel a lil better!!!

As for the Ford Diesel, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the new powerstroke engines. A friend has an Excursion that he's going to sell as the warranty is up and he's tired of it being in the shop. He's planning on buying an older Excursion to get the powerstroke w/o any issues.

BTW - I almost bought a Dodge Cummins before I got my '06 Frontier! Not many complaints from the Cummins community... When I snapped back into reality and realized that I don't need a fullsize diesel it was like a $10,000 savings over getting this '06 Frontier!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Bad fuel economy = Going to a full size diesel truck?
Interestingly, the long bed, extended cab 2001 7.3L turbo diesel F250 I traded in on the Frontier got within .5 mpg of the frontier on combined milage. The frontier kicks its but on the freeway, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a late 94 (first year direct injection i.e powerstroke) anyways i have 4:10 gears and still empty on the hwy will get 18, our other 95 with the 3:55 gears will get over 20 usually 21 or 22, they are good trucks, props to your wife for going large animal we need more good vets!
Thanks and agreed!

We are missing the truck tonight, but enjoying the new (to us) car as well. Filled it up from the light being on to full for $30. That's about half what the Frontier was costing us.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Bummer you could not figure it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I still wonder what the heck that was.

But that was more the straw that broke the camel's back than the main reason we got rid of it. I voluntarily took a large pay cut last year (career change), so every little bit helps. We'll be saving about $1000 a year in gas alone on this vehicle.

I loved that truck, but it was time. We got a sweet deal on the trade too. Including the sales tax we saved by trade, we definitely got more than we could have sold it for, so that's good.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I voluntarily took a large pay cut last year (career change), so every little bit helps. We'll be saving about $1000 a year in gas alone on this vehicle.
That's cool. but , how much is the difference in car payment if you haven't already paid off the truck? And if the truck is paid for, wouldn't the car payment out weigh that 1000$?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truck was owned outright. So payment was $0.

Subaru is owned outright. So payment is $0.

We gave them the truck, title, and $112 and they gave us the Subaru and title.

So we should save about $900 this year, and $1000 each year after.

·
Registered
321 Posts
HAHA Should have explained that logic.

We don't need a truck now, but my wife will graduate from Vet School and is going to be a large animal vet. So we'll need a truck then, and a bigger one.

Having said that, I have two friends with diesels and they both get more than 5mpg more than we do in both city and highway driving. My one friend with a Ford PSD gets 24 mpg on the highway and 20 in town!!!!
One consistency that you'll find among diesel truck owners is that many of them lie about their MPG. I don't understand why, but many of them do.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that F-150 diesel. They've been talking about it for years (so has GM) but they keep putting the programs off due to high diesel prices and lack of demand. Both Ford and GM have an engine ready to go if the demand increases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thing is, regardless of MPG we will need the pulling power of a deisel. She will be hauling livestock and horses around, and I will have a bigger boat by then, so....

;)

Plus, diesels are wicked fun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The late model diesels are fun to drive. Good luck with everything.

I personally hope they do come out with those half ton diesels. I'd be interested in something like that if I needed another full-sized truck. I'd be going the GM route though, my '08 Silverado was an amazingly good truck and I prefer the Duramax (Isuzu) diesels. I miss my silverado sometimes, but it was way more truck than I needed and I bought it used (6k miles) and sold it for about what I paid for it a year earlier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts