Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a current subscriber of SiriusXM satellite radio, in three different vehicles in my household. Good reception most everywhere.
I just added a satellite subscription to my Frontier. Poor reception most everywhere.
As in driving across the flats with only powerlines to block reception.
Cuts out anywhere and everywhere.
I would never pay for a subscription on any of these other vehicles if I had such poor reception.

So my question is... Are Frontier owners getting bad reception with your SiriusXM radio?

Could I have a bad connection to my satellite antenna?
Could the satellite be low in the sky due to my northwest location?

Hmmm... Any thoughts?
I normally love my satellite radio.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Mine sounds good. Only time I have lost reception is sitting under a 6 lane freeway bridge.

I would say you have a bad connection. unless you're further north than your other vehicles.

·
2020 Moderating
3,194 Posts
I get good reception, only an occasional loss of signal. Most often when driving near large hills. Similar reception as the wife's Toyota so I agree with the bad connection or antenna.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My signal is CRAP. It was PERFECT from Denver, CO all the way until about halfway across KY. Once I started getting into the mountains it went all to pieces. Signal is very spotty where I live.

One thing I've noticed- Radios that pick up Sirius get waay better reception in extreme terrain. My grandfather's '11 Ranger and my friend's '12 F-150 never lose signal. Radios that pick up XM (GM products and my Frontier) struggle to get signal.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My signal is CRAP. It was PERFECT from Denver, CO all the way until about halfway across KY. Once I started getting into the mountains it went all to pieces. Signal is very spotty where I live.

One thing I've noticed- Radios that pick up Sirius get waay better reception in extreme terrain. My grandfather's '11 Ranger and my friend's '12 F-150 never lose signal. Radios that pick up XM (GM products and my Frontier) struggle to get signal.
Interesting.. SiriusXM are (have been) combined, so I would be curious if they use different satellites or technology.
I got reduced pricing on smartphone & internet radio today, so I hope I can get my reception worked out.
I'll check my Nissan dealer to see if they have any insight to bad reception (I am not impressed with my local dealer). Slow movers.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Its 100% in the antenna. Since you aren't crazy about your dealer, ask them to order a replacement to have on hand before your visit. Remove old and arbitrarily replace with new seems to be the method of repair anymore.

Our Infiniti has Sirius, OEM antenna is on the rear of the roof, ahead of back glass. Not satisfied with the reception after a few years, INSIDE the trunk I installed an extra in-home antenna. One of those black plastic folding things! The reception is twice as good as it was before.

I plan to enjoy Sirius until Howard Stern leaves. It will be interesting what happens with the company when that day comes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have noticed this issue with my Frontier as well. I wouldn't say its as bad as yours, it take much more than power lines to make it cut out. But I have noticed that driving under certain trees during my usual routes causes it to go in and out. But at the same time, the satellite radio in my wife's Challenger never loses signal in those same places. A couple months ago I rode with a friend in his Infinity (another Nissan product) and his satellite loses signal in the same places as my Frontier. But the funny thing is, in recent weeks reception in the Frontier has gotten noticeably better. Many of the places I used to lose reception not don't cut out. Maybe with the change of season the angle of the satellite toward my location is better...I don't know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 80% luck with mine, when going through or around hills in ct and fades in and out, i worry when spring hits i will have barely have any reception, but i hope for the best. i wish they put the antenna towards the drivers side of the roof, towards the middle of the road, instead of the middle of the roof..

·
Registered
213 Posts
No issues with mine at all. I still have the original Alpine CD Receiver, Sirius receiver box, and antenna when I installed them myself back in December 2005.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The only dead spots I have seen are the same for both of my vehicles, and that is at West Edm Mall where the parkade is 3 levels and not being on the top level is usually enough raw material to block the signal.

There is also a small dead spot at my previous office, it isn't large but maybe the size of 2 cars in an open parking lot but every day I drove through it i'd loose signal for like 2 seconds. Drove through there once with the truck out of curiosity and same story.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting the Ford seems to get better reception, as my Ford van does.
You would think satellite radio would/could do better.
On mine maybe it could be the antenna.
I also believe that reception could be better or worse by region.
I will consider ordering a new antenna and try that.

Guessing SiriusXM would just give me a smoke screen of an answer as far as my reception goes.

Looks like 50% of us at least are getting poor spotty reception?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Its a little known fact that SiriusXM, as well as every other satellite-whatever provider, rely on an extensive network of fixed earth repeaters in order to transmit their broadcast signal. From my office on the 11th floor downtown, surrounded by taller buildings, I get incredible Sirius reception, thanks to Repeater Tower #196, a 400 footer a few miles away that is broadcasting with 8800 watts of power. I have a Stiletto 2 receiver on my desk with a menu that show the signal strength. Today its overcast, kind of gloomy with the storm front that is freezing the midwest this week. My "satellite" signal strength is varying from 18 to 22%, my terrestrial antenna is at 94%. If I plug in the Sirius antenna that came with the unit, I get nearly 0 service. The quality of your reception is dependent in your antenna. I have a Terk Sirius XM antenna that I picked up on ebay for $50. Unfortunately most of the Diversified Electronics antennas that Sirius & XM used turn to junk after a few years.

If you want to see the Tulsa, OK SiriusXM transmission tower, google 36.16945, -95.953014

There are earth repeater nationwide, in and around every major city. Some are stand-alone towers, others are adhered to tall buildings, water towers, piggybacked onto other transmission poles, etc. Don't expect to see a SiriusXM logo anywhere. Most would just assume its some sort of wireless phone company equipment.

DogstarRadio.com Sirius Radio Satellite and Repeater Map

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Its a little known fact that SiriusXM, as well as every other satellite-whatever provider, rely on an extensive network of fixed earth repeaters in order to transmit their broadcast signal. From my office on the 11th floor downtown, surrounded by taller buildings, I get incredible Sirius reception, thanks to Repeater Tower #196, a 400 footer a few miles away that is broadcasting with 8800 watts of power. I have a Stiletto 2 receiver on my desk with a menu that show the signal strength. Today its overcast, kind of gloomy with the storm front that is freezing the midwest this week. My "satellite" signal strength is varying from 18 to 22%, my terrestrial antenna is at 94%. If I plug in the Sirius antenna that came with the unit, I get nearly 0 service. The quality of your reception is dependent in your antenna. I have a Terk Sirius XM antenna that I picked up on ebay for $50. Unfortunately most of the Diversified Electronics antennas that Sirius & XM used turn to junk after a few years.

If you want to see the Tulsa, OK SiriusXM transmission tower, google 36.16945, -95.953014

There are earth repeater nationwide, in and around every major city. Some are stand-alone towers, others are adhered to tall buildings, water towers, piggybacked onto other transmission poles, etc. Don't expect to see a SiriusXM logo anywhere. Most would just assume its some sort of wireless phone company equipment.

DogstarRadio.com Sirius Radio Satellite and Repeater Map
Tulsa is the closest land based to my house and I haven't had issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Interesting the Ford seems to get better reception, as my Ford van does.
You would think satellite radio would/could do better.
On mine maybe it could be the antenna.
I also believe that reception could be better or worse by region.
I will consider ordering a new antenna and try that.

Guessing SiriusXM would just give me a smoke screen of an answer as far as my reception goes.

Looks like 50% of us at least are getting poor spotty reception?

With me, its jst the opposite. It works better in the nissan than t did in my Ford Escape. There is even a tunnel on my way to work where in the Ford it would cut out in the tunnel but it doesn't in the Nissan. Very happy with mine. This is in the Minneapolis area if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am wondering if inclement weather plays a part with reception.
Freezing fog, snow and generally low clouds with temp inversions around here.
Hmmm...

I'm gonna talk to a mobile solutions co. today to see if they have any insight.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a 2013 SV and have had no issues unless I hit a wide bridge or am in underground parking. It definitely sounds like you may have an antenna issue. Weather can play into it some but its gotta be some really really bad weather, and not just like snow but mostly overcast type of weather. Cold really isn't going to affect it, but freezing fog may.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have factory installed satellite radio in both my car (Toyota) and my Frontier. They both operate the same way under the same conditions, i.e. they both lose signal due to the same obstructions in the same areas and both work very well, as expected, under unobstructed conditions.

I think you are right to suspect the antenna or the antenna cables and connectors although it could be the satellite receiver itself. If you have a friend with a Nissan satellite receiver you might swap receivers and see what happens, it would help isolate the problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have factory installed satellite radio in both my car (Toyota) and my Frontier. They both operate the same way under the same conditions, i.e. they both lose signal due to the same obstructions in the same areas and both work very well, as expected, under unobstructed conditions.

I think you are right to suspect the antenna or the antenna cables and connectors although it could be the satellite receiver itself. If you have a friend with a Nissan satellite receiver you might swap receivers and see what happens, it would help isolate the problem.
Good thoughts.
Is the satellite receiver a separate unit from my Rockford Fosgate system?

·
Registered
148 Posts
my reception is great only time i loose it is in tunnel's or under bridges for a second or 2.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts