Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have a slanted driveway which works beautifully for other service work combined with the ramps, but the tire rotation was eluding me.
With a slanted driveway, I suggest a cinder block for a wheel chock. Don't want your rig getting away from you while you're under it.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
With a slanted driveway, I suggest a cinder block for a wheel chock. Don't want your rig getting away from you while you're under it.
A proper heavy rubber industrial wheel chock like the electric utilities use, would be best. I found one accidentally left behind on the road about 5 yrs ago and use it daily, it chocks my weekend toy since its a 5 speed and the parking brake never worked correctly.
Good ole Generous Motors .............

·
Registered
2021 SV VTP midnight magnetic black
30 Posts
It's more work but you only need one jack if you take off a wheel and replace it with the spare, (you don't need to install every lug nut and torque them all, just snug them on enough so the tire won't shift), then remove the jack and do the next tire. This way you never have more than one tire off the ground at a time. Would putting it in 4 hi help prevent rolling?

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (20,000km)
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I should have clarified more...yes, I use the slanted driveway when doing some maintenance work (oil changes for example it is great), but would not use it for a tire rotation...I'll just use the flat garage floor for that one.

Never realized tire rotation was so complex. :cool:
I know right....but it took 20 notes for someone ( @RamTest ) to point out I could still use the ramp as an axle stand if used in the correct sequence. As someone that has to go out and purchased a new tool every time I want to try something, it's great to get both the advice on how to do it correctly the first time and not go spend my hard earned $$.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (20,000km)
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's more work but you only need one jack if you take off a wheel and replace it with the spare, (you don't need to install every lug nut and torque them all, just snug them on enough so the tire won't shift), then remove the jack and do the next tire. This way you never have more than one tire off the ground at a time. Would putting it in 4 hi help prevent rolling?
Yeah, I thought of that, but after taking that spare off/on once before...that is something I just wanted to avoid.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Hydraulic jack and 4 jack stands, jack from frame, place jack stands on frame, rotate tires per manual, drop vehicle. That is the best and safest way to do it, in my opinion.

Unless you go to discount tire or equivalent (because you got the very affordable lifetime balance and rotation / insurance), invest in a quality jack and 4 stands, and wheel chaulks; they come in handy, and may even save your life. A good jack will raise your vehicle in like 6 pumps and saves you a lot of time too.

Those new electric impact drivers are so good they can take lug nuts off of a dump truck...🤤🤤🤤 I want one so badly lol but I can't think of a good enough argument to justify the purchase... yet LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,160 Posts
I'm pretty sure in the manual it states there is a notch in the frame where to put the jack/stand...
I believe there is an arrow stamped in the frame. I use two floor jacks to lift the whole side and swap them like that. It also saves so much time and the jacks are only about $100 each. You can never have enough tools. If you all that I have in the garage, haha 🤦🏼‍♂️

Clint

Reactions: NaughtyBits

·
Super Moderator
11,160 Posts
NO part of you ever goes under the car to rotate a tire!! My friend got his pinned to the ground right after I left and said move your legs, he almost lost it as it was an open wound besides the broken bones.

Clint

21 - 29 of 29 Posts