Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have been shopping around for campers and she wasn't convinced that the Frontier could haul! Luckily we were able to rent one of the campers we have really been leaning towards.

I have the 2019 Pro 4X 5 speed auto. We rented a Winnebago Micro Mini 2108FBS. It's 22'5" long 10'5" Tall and 7' wide. Weighs in at 5,500 GVWR. A quick 242 mile trip to Bryson City NC.

It pulled really well with a 12-13 mpg on flat ground and a light foot on the pedal. Lol the foothills of the Smokies however... About 7-8 mpg climbing those hills.

The ride back downhill was a cool 12-13mpg again.
It performed pretty well! Don't think I'd go cross country with it but plenty for a visit to a neighboring state. Gave us an idea of what to expect. There's some lighter options that we might try before settling on a purchase.

Pleasantly surprised and the wife is convinced that my lil truck can work!
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Registered
578 Posts
Similar to my experience with a slightly smaller trailer. The truck did okay, but the frontal wind resistance was the biggest killer. If I were to buy or rent a camper again I'd try to find one with a more aerodynamic front to at least make it a little less of an issue, and I'd still be hesitant to do a cross country trip.

Now if I could afford a nice Hi-Lo/Trailmanor hardside popup I'd drag that sucker everywhere!

Reactions: The_Dirty

· Registered
3 Posts
2022 SV 4x4 with tow package we did Boston to Colarado this summer towing an R-Pod 179 weighing about 3,800 pounds. We towed all around Colorado and back to Boston 5,700 miles, the average fuel use was 13.8 mpg. The trailer towed fine obviously it worked pretty hard on the steepest hills but on most roads it was more than adequate.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking an RPod or Salem FSX would tow a bit better aerodynamically.

We're still shopping around. Though the Rockwood Geo Pros are pretty light and look well equipped.

Either way these "off road" campers and their knobby tires.. can't help the gas mileage that much. Think some proper radials could help too. Besides looks I don't think they are going to be much more effective at the RV park gravel driveways lol.

· Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
1,300 Posts
Rockwood Geo Pros are pretty light and look well equipped.
those are super nice, wish I would have gotten one instead of the one I got, tows really nice but have a lot of problems with build quality:(
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
2013 CC 4.0L 6MT
168 Posts
For aerodynamics, the shape of the rear of the camper is just as important if not more important than the shape of the front of the camper, and both are more important than the weight. Square back is the worst. If you can, try to find one with a rounded rear.

· Registered
209 Posts
Air resistance is definitely your enemy. I tow a Springdale Mini (21ft and 3600#). It is not the most aerodynamic camper by any means. At 60mph I get about 13-14mpg on level ground. Up that to 70mph and mileage goes to crap....about 10-11mpg.

· Premium Member
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
274 Posts
For aerodynamics, the shape of the rear of the camper is just as important if not more important than the shape of the front of the camper, and both are more important than the weight. Square back is the worst. If you can, try to find one with a rounded rear.
And that goes for mate choice, also.

· Registered
20 Posts
I have a nuCamp TAG XL Boondock teardrop trailer and it tows pretty easily. With overdrive off and cruising at 64 with a tri-fold tonneau cover, the mileage is around 15 mpg. Granted, that is much smaller than the others listed on this thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts