Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my wife and I have been thinking more and more about getting a travel trailer. I've never really had any experience towing things and needing to account for weight etc (aside from an aluminum bass boat my dad had when I was a teenager). I know the towing capacity of the Frontier is 6300lbs.

From what I've read, accounting for my weight and passengers and cargo on the truck my actual limit would be more like 5700lbs. Should I be looking at trailers whose dry weight is under 5700 or whose GVWR is under 5700? What else will I need to make the Frontier as capable as possible to tow well? From what I've read some even 23ft (floor length) trailers would come in under that weight but they seem awful large to be behind a Frontier.

Any other tips of info is appreciated. Trying to learn and make as educated a purchase as I can. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Dry weight trailer of 5700 means you have not accounted for things like sheets for the bed, water in the tanks, food, pots and pans, and all the other stuff needed to actually go camping. A trailer with a gross rating of 5700 means you probably have enough capacity to actually put camping gear in the camper and use it. Providing you are not overloading the capacity of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Rather than bumping your head on your truck's tow rating, will say it would be safer to pull AND stop with a full size truck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, yeah. I'd buy an F350 and call it a day if I could. I'm trying to work as best as I can with what I've got.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Use search on camper towing. This has been discussed a lot. I am sure you will find answers to your questions.

Reactions: WillPro4x

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I may soon do the same but will keep under 5000# total - I don't want tail wagging the dog. If I decide to go larger/heavier, I will go full size truck, either new Titan or f-150 w/5.0. I would be towing long distances in mountainous west.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
The general census I've seen over the years when it comes to towing with these trucks is this:
- Keep the GVWR under 4000lbs and the truck still climbs and stops well, over that is possible but the truck really starts to struggle.
- Get a trailer with the smallest frontal area you can find. The sail effect is very noticeable, so popups or V nose trailers will tow much better than a standard flat front.
- Over 2000lbs you want a brake controller and possibly a weight distribution hitch.

I tow a tiny 13' popup behind mine that has a gvwr of 2000lbs. Quite honestly I wouldn't want to tow something much bigger than it with this truck. There are guys on here pulling 20'+ trailers that approach the max tow limit but there is no way that it is enjoyable to drive at that point.

Take this advice however you want but that is just my take. I grew up towing all sorts of trailers with my dad in a few different trucks. Learned to tow using a 35' 16,000lb fifth wheel in our f350

·
Registered
57 Posts
Invest in a quality weight distribution hitch and friction sway bar. I saw this SAVE a driver the past week.

I have a Dutchman 26 FKL. Dry weight 4870. No dry camping for us....strict pack protocol...few hundred pound safety buffer.

In a few years we are upgrading my wife's car to an SUV. Then we'll dry camp.

Bottom line...tow what YOU'RE comfortable with. Follow the manufacturer manual to the T. Don't play with the numbers.... I break out the calculator...some people don't want to and that's 100% okay.

Ask yourself how comfortable you are and if you're not sure rent a few and go from there.

Again....Invest in a good weight distribution hitch! Friction sway bar is only $33 so grab one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

By play with numbers....Don't go over them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where do you tow? Have you towed in the mountains?

We are looking at the Micro Minnie 2106fbs which I think is the same size and weight as the 2101DS.

Strictly in Florida. It runs out fine in 5th (manual) when accelerating up our, um, inclines.

Sorry I can't help you on mountain towing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, that's why I went to 4.56 gears. (manual also)
I guess I'll find out..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I pull a 2011 A-Liner Ranger with my 2015 4 cylinder 2.5L automatic Frontier. The trailer weighs 1700 pounds empty and the trucks towing capacity is 3500 pounds. I figure we probably have about 500 pounds of camping gear. It tows quite well. We have towed all over Tennessee, Texas, and New Mexico.

I turn the overdrive off and go. We don't drive over 65 mph and can hold that speed on long inclines and small mountains.

I will saw this, I have not towed it over Eisenhower Pass in the Colorado Rockies. I expect that will be a challenge with the 4 cylinder, but I would think the 6 cylinder would have no issues going up Eisenhower pass.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts