Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier, 125,000 miles, I'm the original owner. Dealer installed a Turbo Liner when I bought the truck and it has deteriorated over the years. I'm having some body work done and I already removed the old bed liner. Underneath I found that there are 6 screws holding down the bed that are rusted. Body shop guy suggested that they be replaced before the bed is resprayed. Looked online and went to dealer; looks like these screws are no longer available from Nissan. I tried to remove them so I could find an equivalent replacement and had no luck. On top the screws have Phillips heads and there are big washers or flanges under the head. Underneath the truck bed it looks like there are bolts attached to the screws but I couldn't access the bolts with the socket wrench I had on hand; they are recessed into some kind of metal frame. I'm thinking that the body shop guy will have the tools necessary to remove them. But what should they be replaced with? Now I'm wondering if we should just treat the screws and surrounding bed for rust (it's surface rust, not rotted through) and just go ahead with the bed liner and hope for the best. I included photos. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
JS....did you try spraying the rusted Phillips head screws with any of the following penetrating oil??

Spray it with your oil of choice, let it sit for a good 10-15 minutes, then give it a wack with an impact screwdriver...

Spray the bottom bolt too with the penetrating oil & remove it with a set of bolt extractors....The bolt extractor should fit in between the metal frame...

Hope this helps....Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just drill them out... you can replace them with anything you want. I suggest stainless steel
with oversized washers that you can get at any hardware store.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You definitely need to get them out to be able to take care of the rust on the bed underneath the washers.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,931 Posts
I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier, 125,000 miles, I'm the original owner. Dealer installed a Turbo Liner when I bought the truck and it has deteriorated over the years. I'm having some body work done and I already removed the old bed liner. Underneath I found that there are 6 screws holding down the bed that are rusted. Body shop guy suggested that they be replaced before the bed is resprayed. Looked online and went to dealer; looks like these screws are no longer available from Nissan. I tried to remove them so I could find an equivalent replacement and had no luck. On top the screws have Phillips heads and there are big washers or flanges under the head. Underneath the truck bed it looks like there are bolts attached to the screws but I couldn't access the bolts with the socket wrench I had on hand; they are recessed into some kind of metal frame. I'm thinking that the body shop guy will have the tools necessary to remove them. But what should they be replaced with? Now I'm wondering if we should just treat the screws and surrounding bed for rust (it's surface rust, not rotted through) and just go ahead with the bed liner and hope for the best. I included photos. Any ideas?
Just fyi, the phillips head bolts in your pics secure the floor bolsters to the bed and the nuts are welded in place.
Wood Grey Automotive tire Artifact Circle

The nut(s)and bolt(s) that secure the bed to the frame is circled in red in this pic. There are a total of six bedframe mounting bolts.

Automotive tire Bumper Grey Wood Automotive exterior

Wood Metal Hardwood Nickel Artifact

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JS....did you try spraying the rusted Phillips head screws with any of the following penetrating oil??

Spray it with your oil of choice, let it sit for a good 10-15 minutes, then give it a wack with an impact screwdriver...

Spray the bottom bolt too with the penetrating oil & remove it with a set of bolt extractors....The bolt extractor should fit in between the metal frame...

Hope this helps....Good Luck!!!
Thanks for the tip re: penetrating oils, certainly going to try this!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Soak with penetrating oil and use a impact with a #3 JIS tip or bit.
The bolts aren't actually "Phillips" head.
They are JIS Japanese Industrial Standard.

A regular phillips might strip the head.

Either of these types of impact will do the job.
Tool Office supplies Font Transparency Writing implement
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Wood
Hood Office supplies Office equipment Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Butterman. The bolt that you circled in red on your photo--looks to me like a frame bolt, and a lot beefier than the screw/nut I'm having issues with. In the lower left hand corner of your 2nd photo there's a square nut that looks like the ones that are giving me trouble underneath my truck. It's encased inside a square metal flange. It looks like one side of the flange might be hot welded in place. I've never seen hardware like this. Can't find it on the Nissan schematics online either. BTW your truck is in nice shape for a 2004.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, Butterman. I have an impact driver but not the JIS tips and I will need to add them to my arsenal. I have a better understanding of what to try. Looks like the nuts underneath have to stay in place and I have to try to get the screws out from the top? Thanks for all the trouble you went to to post photos etc. Appreciate it! I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Thanks, Butterman. The bolt that you circled in red on your photo--looks to me like a frame bolt, and a lot beefier than the screw/nut I'm having issues with. In the lower left hand corner of your 2nd photo there's a square nut that looks like the ones that are giving me trouble underneath my truck. It's encased inside a square metal flange. It looks like one side of the flange might be hot welded in place. I've never seen hardware like this. Can't find it on the Nissan schematics online either. BTW your truck is in nice shape for a 2004.
Yes, I am aware that the bedframe bolt isn't the one you're having issue with.
I just wanted to point out the difference betwwen because you said bolster bolts hold down the bed, which they do, but they secure the bed to the bolsters and not the frame.

If you're unsuccessful in breaking them free and have to grind or cut them off, it'd be easier to remove the bed from frame beforehand via the bedframe bolts.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Thanks again, Butterman. I have an impact driver but not the JIS tips and I will need to add them to my arsenal. I have a better understanding of what to try. Looks like the nuts underneath have to stay in place and I have to try to get the screws out from the top? Thanks for all the trouble you went to to post photos etc. Appreciate it! I'll let you know what happens.
No sweat.

Yes, the nuts underneath are welded.
The JIS Impact screwdrivers and the JIS impact bits aren't sold at your local auto parts stores.
Motorcycle shops may have them but I ordered mine online. Once from Amazon and once from Ebay.

Google JIS vs. Phillips head and you read about the headaches people have had over these.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The FSM is available for free download.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts