Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a new 2009 Frontier a few weeks ago and I noticed it has some serious rust underneath. I live in Florida and I was wondering if this is normal. I can't imagine that it is. I'm going to try & upload some photos of the rust.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All driveshafts on non-nismos (pro-4x) will look like that. It's normal. As is your exhaust. You should see my cat-back up here after the heavy salting Massachusetts' roads get in the winter.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
^^What he said. If you happen to drive on the beach or salty area make sure and go through a car wash that sprays underneath the truck to get all the salt off.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
yeah the driveshaft on mine looked like that too when it was new. my frame is slowly building rust but i think thats normal for any truck thats driven in the northern states that get snow and of course salty roads...i hate it and i always keep my frame and all clean in the winter.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yup, just like the others have stated, your DS will rust because it is bare steel.

The exhaust hangers are the same too. They use a cheap steel for them so they will rust.

P.S. What part of Florida are you in? Also, by any chance are you the guy that lives in my neighborhood that drives an 09 LE that is brown/tan in color?

Well, after looking at the pics again it appears you don't have the 18s so you are probably not my neighbor.

I still have to ask thou, are you 2wd or 4wd? Then are you an SE/LE or what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I live in Orlando & it's a white SE.
I did look at another truck on the dealer's lot & it had some of the same rust. Just wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, my 05 has a bit of rust, not as much rust as my girlfriend's 08 colorado but I'm sure not use to seeing rust at all after driving two isuzu's in the past, both my rodeos has almost no signs of rust anywhere... and I thrashed on em' in the water, mud, and especially the moist moab sand stuck all over the place for months at a time, my 01 rodeo right now still looks almost new underneath, whatever isuzu's got goin' on (or HAD going on in the US before 2004) nissan n' chev really need to do the same..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Guess just the Nismo has steel DS....my 05 SE has an aluminum tube .
But there were other areas that rusted first 6 months of use...like the
brake line fittings that go into the junction blocks....never going to be
able to take those fittings out ever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts