Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed that under my truck is all brown. Is it normal for it to have that much rust. And how do or should I get rid of it???????????

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did you ever get it oil sprayed (or other)?

I've seen vehicles rust in less time and others do far better (My old Chevy started rusting after 2 years and my dad's 2000 Hyundai is still nearly rust-free)

·
Registered
395 Posts
partagas, I love your avatar! I watched something on Trucks! on SpikeTV where they used some kind of paint on primer/rust-be-gone type deal (looked like painting on tar pretty much) that they said worked better painted over the rust itself (after a quick brushing).

Sorry! Can't remember the name of it though. . .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know if it has been oil sprayed.

As for the Avatarthank you.
I will have to check their website and see if they mention it.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Trust me. I've done an underbody and it's still rust free 15 years later. You can skip the second step but I say why? I could list a few things you don’t want to get these products on but these come to mind first. Your paint, exhaust and drive shaft. Most of these are apply and drive after a few hours but stay out of water and dust.

Wire brush and scrape off as much rust as possible.

Get a spray bottle and buy a product called (Ospho). It's a green watery liquid that when sprayed on, turns iron oxide aka rust, into iron phosphate an inert white powder. If you cant find Ospho? Stay away from the jellies. Get a liquid that turns oxide into phosphate. It's user friendly but try to avoid getting excess amounts on your skin. Follow instructions for dry time.

Next buy (red oxide rust inhibitive primer) Not the white stuff and preferably not in spray cans. The red oxide primer is the same thing you see on structural steel. Brush it on and apply a second coat if you want the peace of mind I do. This stuff dries to touch after a few hours but cures very slowly. Follow the instructions to the fullest and then some to make sure it's fully cured before the next step.

Get the rubber underbody spray and spray until your hearts content. The applications I described will last many years. I plan to do a good underbody cleaning and just the rubber underbody coat in a few weeks. I've no rust but the factory did a half a$$ application.

I'm sure your frame is rusting also and if you want a nice new look follow the steps above except right before you do the rubber coat apply two or three coats of Sherwin Williams industrial acrylic to the frame. I did it on mine and it's mighty tough stuff…….Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts