Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here running beefy(ish) all terrains in the back and radial long trails in the front? I am only 2wd, so my front tires are only steer tires. I feel like AT tires don't do a great job in the front, unless you are a 4wd vehicle ofcourse. Wanted to hear your thoughts about this approach.

I came to this thought when I realized semi-trucks run radials in the front and more grippy tires on the rear drive axles. I have also noticed a few pickups (because I have been keeping an eye out) that have done this as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,528 Posts
I'd run the same tires all the way around so they all have the same characteristics in all weather especially rain.

Clint

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is anyone here running beefy(ish) all terrains in the back and radial long trails in the front? I am only 2wd, so my front tires are only steer tires. I feel like AT tires don't do a great job in the front, unless you are a 4wd vehicle ofcourse. Wanted to hear your thoughts about this approach.

I came to this thought when I realized semi-trucks run radials in the front and more grippy tires on the rear drive axles. I have also noticed a few pickups (because I have been keeping an eye out) that have done this as well.
My truck seems to wear rears more quickly than fronts. Since I want to rotate them periodically, seems like what you describe wouldn't make any sense.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
In old days - when most pickups were 2wd - it was standard practice to run traction tires in rear and highway tires in front. With advent of good AT tires, I don't think there is a reason to give up ability to rotate and consistency from front to rear. Believe it has been proven by tire manufacturers that most important to have best highway speed traction on rear of vehicle - if you lose the rear and it swaps places with front, good chance of rollover.
I think road manners of my Toyo ATs are great.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire rotation was something I have been concerned about as well. I think I will just all 4 tires the same. Thanks for the input everyone!
!

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
You don't want low traction tires in the front unless you like to understeer.

The only reason to run different tires front/back is so that you can buy 2 tires at a time. But I don't think running different steering/traction tires has any real advantages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts