Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was curious, I run 91 octane on everything I own, including my '16 Pro4X, is it bad that I run the higher octane than regular? Do I need to adjust anything to run the higher octane?

Reactions: seanduerr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just was curious, I run 91 octane on everything I own, including my '16 Pro4X, is it bad that I run the higher octane than regular? Do I need to adjust anything to run the higher octane?
Typically if the vehicle isnt tuned to run on higher octane it will slightly increase your mpg and also cause a slightly smoother running engine...i tested this when i ran an i4 taco...89 octane caused a slight ticking as it idled....higher octane the tick went away and i gained about 1 mpg....is it worth it to run on a v6 frontier im not sure just started running it. My previous truck it wasnt worth it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Higher octane will not affect anything but high load operation if your engine knocks with the next lower octane number. If your engine knocks on 87 under high load the next higher octane fuel will help eliminate this. If it doesn't knock on the lower octane fuel there may be no need to run the higher octane fuel
Running high octane fuel is certainly not going to harm anything and really your knock sensors will protect your engine if it does knock on a lower octane fuel. Knock sensors will retard your ignition timing resulting in less power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Where I live regular is 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol. I've been meaning to experiment with Shell 91 which is ethanol free. My truck is a '10 Pro-4x 6spd and really hasn't given me a reason to buy the more expensive fuel ($1.49/L vs $1.19/L)

I did use Shell 91 in my '06 Tacoma 4.0L auto and saw a slight improvement in fuel economy (+0.5mpg) and it held gears longer on hills.

·
Registered
544 Posts
While it will not do any harm to the motor it will do harm to the wallet... Run several tanks of each and be sure to record the cost per gallon and MPG and do the math. Engines that were not built to run 91 octane simply will not pay you back enough difference to warrant the extra cost...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, My experience is this:

In my motorcycle (which the owners manual says run 87 octane) with 87 octane the bike is gutless. The tire stays planted unless the clutch and throttle are played with at the same time. The valves are noisey and it knocks going up up long inclines. on 89 octane ethyl mix the valves still rattle, it knocks less up inclines and will torque wheelie first. with 93 ethyl mix it will torque float the front thru second gear, valves are quiet and no knocking at all. On 90 octane pure gas the front end floats in first thru third, and it gets 50mpg (which for a 1300cc touring bike is phenomenal.

In the 2013 Hyundai Accent, the motor rattles and knocks on 87 octane, on 89 its quiet and gets 51mpg. Now, the Hyundai is direct injected and my son (Master Mechanic and Local Hyundai store ) tells me to run 89 or 93 in direct injection because the compression ratios are pushing 11 to 1. He says on those cars its not uncommon to see them go 120k trouble free and also not uncommon for them to break pistons shortly after.(with obvious signs of bad detonation problems)He also says they see alot of carboned up intake valve which the factory is blaming on cheap fuel. I use fuel additives (Sea Foam or Techron) once a month.

BUT, Not knowing alot about this truck I just bought (It still has the free tank the dealer gave me in it) MY rule is to run whatever fuel keeps the detonation at bay and the valves quiet. 5 bucks a tank is not enough money to cheap me out but my rule is I buy new vehicles every 15 years and fix them if they break. In the Accent its 90 octane pure for 2.99 a gallon here, bike gets same and 1999 Chevy, which has 260k miles on it ( relegated to hauling trash and Home Depot duty) using 87 octane and heavy detergent additives in the 4.8l oil have kept her quiet and clean.

I'd make sure I was checking the exhaust every once in awhile on the premium fuel though....when it gets sooty black its time for a can of Sea Foam and a redline blast to blow the valve and injectors out.

IMHO YMMV

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Most VQ equipped Nissan trucks have stated somewhere "For maximum performance, use premium fuel," or something to that affect. I monitored the gas mileage on my '06 Pathy V6 and there was no difference in performance nor mileage between using 87 octane and 93 octane. I use 93 octane, now, because I'm running a Superchips 93 Performance tune with a 3 degree timing advance over stock.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Most VQ equipped Nissan trucks have stated somewhere "For maximum performance, use premium fuel," or something to that affect. I monitored the gas mileage on my '06 Pathy V6 and there was no difference in performance nor mileage between using 87 octane and 93 octane. I use 93 octane, now, because I'm running a Superchips 93 Performance tune with a 3 degree timing advance over stock.
Not in the 2016 Frontier Owner's Manual under tech & consumer info...

"FUEL RECOMMENDATION
Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number"

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just my two cents, but as a former mechanic (I gave it up about 3 years ago, tired of always dirty fingernails, LOL. Now studying to be a radiographer, but that's another story), unless your vehicle is specifically designed to burn octane over 87, there is little benefit to using it.

Modern vehicles have sophisticated algorithms in the firmware on the ECM's that work in conjunction with knock sensors. As long as there are no major mechanical issues, or the car is quite a bit older with little or no smart knock-sensing, yes you could help it a bit if you're getting detonation by using 89 or 91 octane. That fact is though, you really won't gain significant performance or mpg increases with higher octane.

To over simplify a bit, octane is used to suppress burning, so more octane actually makes the gas more difficult to explode. This allows the ECM to adjust the spark timing to take advantage of the slower burn rate and add power to the engine. But, the algorithms in the ECMs of our trucks are simply not designed to take full advantage. They can only adjust timing so far. Performance cars and modified ECM's (tuner chips, etc.) allow the spark timing to be adjusted beyond what is normally safe with an engine that is designed for 87 octane. These types of vehicles will specifically state that 91 octane is required or recommended.

Simply put, using 91 vs 87 in our trucks is wasting money. Regular here is currently $2.39 a gallon and premium is $3.10. That's a 30% increase in the cost per gallon. In order to just break even, your mpg would have to go from 20mpg to 26mpg (a 30% increase). If you only go up 1mpg, then you are literally throwing dollars out your exhaust pipe.

Sorry this is longer than I intended, but in short, save your money. If you need to increase your octane to stop spark knock, then you have a mechanical or software or knock sensor issue. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Most VQ equipped Nissan trucks have stated somewhere "For maximum performance, use premium fuel," or something to that affect.
Not in the 2016 Frontier Owner's Manual under tech & consumer info...

"FUEL RECOMMENDATION
Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number"
The recommendation for the Frontier changed from 91 to 87 somewhere around '08 or '09.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts