Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is running a thinker gear fluid in their c200 diff? I'm asking because I'm about to buy a 3000lbs camping trailer and would like better protection for towing.

Or maybe mixing a 75w90 and 75w140 to meet in the middle.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I hear it's smarter to run "thinker" fluid...

If I were you I'd be running the weight the manual calls for. That weight gear oil is what your diff is designed to do and you shouldn't need to rethink it based on pulling a trailer that is within the designed tow weight of the vehicle. Keep it simple. That's just me though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I spend a bunch of time reading the reviews on "bob is the oil guy" for my fleets needs. I choose to run Mobil 1 75/90 in my c200 as it is about the best widely available, over the counter oil you can get. I tow 3K+ & I am confident I will make it to my destination w/o issue. That is if I don't pop any axle seals along the way???????

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
I would stick with 75W90 synthetic. Mobil One works well, as mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Yes, based on the idea of heavier is better I see what you were thinking BUT many times thicker just means you're starving the item of lubrication and doing more harm.

Clint

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, but I read a lot about the gears getting hotter when towing and heavier fluid would help. Maybe a 75w110? Who knows.... Lol

Bobistheoilguy hurts my brain. Way too much information.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
True, but I read a lot about the gears getting hotter when towing and heavier fluid would help. Maybe a 75w110? Who knows.... Lol

Bobistheoilguy hurts my brain. Way too much information.

My thought is that people spent a considerable amount of time and thought on the rear axle and the fluid in it and have tested it in various conditions and issued a warranty. Why over think it? Your within the towing limits so just run what the manual says.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
You can buy a finned differential cover to help dissipate the heat and I believe holds more fluid overall. I know they make one for the 226 but need to verify if they do for the 200.

Clint

·
Registered
925 Posts
I run 75w140 in mine. I've seen a few places say you can run either 75w140 or 75w90 in the C200. I believe Alldata says both.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put one quart of 75w140 in my 200 and filled the rest of the way up with 75w90 left over from the front diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My thought is that people spent a considerable amount of time and thought on the rear axle and the fluid in it and have tested it in various conditions and issued a warranty. Why over think it? Your within the towing limits so just run what the manual says.
Just wondering if anyone is running a thinker gear fluid in their c200 diff? I'm asking because I'm about to buy a 3000lbs camping trailer and would like better protection for towing.

Or maybe mixing a 75w90 and 75w140 to meet in the middle.

Thanks
Here is a pic of the recommended weights out of my Haynes manual.. rear diff with 4wd or 6 speed need 75w-140 if 2wd use 75w-90. I kind of scratched my head a bit the way they worded it but I believe that’s right...

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Actually, all Frontiers w/ the 6-sp receive the M226 rear diff, even 4x2. Only the Pro4X receives the M226 w/ both auto & manual trans. That Haynes Manual is poorly worded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts