Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure hate letting go to waste the full size spare on a matching Nismo rim. Truck has 13,500 miles on it. I'm thinking of throwing the spare into rotation. I know the TPMS buzzer will go off.
Does the buzzer ever eventually shut off, or will it come on at certain intervals? I know from reading the posts that the light stays on. Alternatively, how much have you guys paid to have a sensor transfered over to another rim?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The only time that I have used mine was during the time I was having my wheels polished and then I did very little driving since I had no spare. Since the tires are radial in design they should always be kept on the same side of the vehicle. That means you cannot do a full rotation.

OkieScot

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
When i put on my lift and new tires, My sensor would go off on long drives, such as me driving from cali to Washington. It will come on after about 60-80 miles. I just ignore it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The only time that I have used mine was during the time I was having my wheels polished and then I did very little driving since I had no spare. Since the tires are radial in design they should always be kept on the same side of the vehicle. That means you cannot do a full rotation. OkieScot
Urban legend #83 (or is that Okie legend!?). As long as the tires are not directional, you can switch tham from side to side as much as you want.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
as long as the other tire has pressure in it the sensor should not go off.
^+1
As long as the TPMS is reading between 28-64psi. it should be fine.

Wahuyamean do you have a Nismo wheel/tire or Steelie/BF tire??

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I could be wrong as I have only been in my truck but there is no "buzzer", just a light on the dash.
^ theres a bong, bong, bong... look dummy there's a light on! Chime.

Still wanna know where my Nismo spare wheel is at... :confused:

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I recall the general topic of putting the spare in rotation was discussed somewhere, and the gain in tire life is insignificant. Someone embarked on a mathematical study of putting a 5th tire in rotation and the result was so minimal that it is not worth bothering with. Just a thought. No harm done if you wish to persue it though.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm also wondering where my Nismo spare wheel is at. My truck came with a full size spare tire on a black steel wheel. Never been used and is in my garage. No sense i carrying around a 265/75/16 spare when my tires are 285/75/16 right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm also wondering where my Nismo spare wheel is at. My truck came with a full size spare tire on a black steel wheel. Never been used and is in my garage. No sense i carrying around a 265/75/16 spare when my tires are 285/75/16 right?
You could still use the spare tire with the other tires your using. the 285 is just the width of the tire at the widest point. if the 75 were different between the tires then you could have problems.

You are running the same size tires just the spare is a bit narrower than the other tires....

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Stop giving false info. A 285 is wider but with the same 75% sidewall makes it taller, ie a 32 to a 33.

Putting the spare into rotation will gain you very little. Its not worth the trouble plus you don't want to have different tread on the same axle (2wd) or on any corner (4wd), it could cause binding while driving or a slight drift or an over-active ABS.

P.S. Only the 05 Nismos have the matching rim, the 06 and on have the standard steel rim.

Side Note: I wonder if there is a steel 17" rim for the LE guys or an 18" for the new LEs?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I put my spare into rotation at the end of my last tire life, just to make it a little longer. The chime sounded a couple times when I started it, but eventually it turned off but the light stayed on. The Nissan tec said the light would remain on while the spare was mounted because the spare wheel doesn't have the sensor for air pressure in it. My 05 has the nismo spare wheel, that's crazy that later models don't, wtf.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As dubie stated, there is a size difference of the tires, but you could still run it. If you have a real limited slip it could cause problems though if you did it for too long, and it may cause an ABS code to be thrown too.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You could still use the spare tire with the other tires your using. the 285 is just the width of the tire at the widest point. if the 75 were different between the tires then you could have problems.

You are running the same size tires just the spare is a bit narrower than the other tires....

lol....you are funny (and clueless).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
thats funny man, the people put smaller tires on than stock. my spare is 265 and my tires are 30's LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts