Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4WD
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my VG33E, at both bottom edges of the water pump that run front-to-back where it meets the block, there is a half-pipe cutout, as well as on the adjacent surfaces of the block, forming a cylindrical opening. There are what seem to just be pieces of wire coated in rubber installed in this space on both sides. The ones I removed seem dry rotted. But I don't see any timing kits or water pumps for sale anywhere that come with these. They seem to be a seal to keep dust out, but what are they called? Where can they be obtained? I can't find anything on these. Watched several videos about water pump replacement, and nobody mentions them. The only reference I can find is in the service manual, a diagram shows these parts and lists them simply as 'rubber seal' and has the notation "Always replace after every disassembly." But where do you get them??

🤔

· Registered
2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4WD
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I tend to agree with my local toothless AutoZone yokul.--Seems like if they were important, they'd be available. Probably just something that was over-engineered initially and people figured out it wasn't something to worry about. I'll take his advice and squirt some gasket maker in there just to make myself feel better about at least trying to follow the service manual. Case closed, I guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts