Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a shot in the dark here. I'm replacing the fan clutch in my '05 and like an idiot I managed to round off one of the small nuts that hold the clutch on. Does anyone have any tips for removing this particular nut? The location is quite tight and I can't get a socket on it unless I strip the whole front end down.
The simple way would be to just cut it off but that will end up costing me about another $60 to replace the fan pulley as I don't think I could cut it off with out damaging the bolt.
Top lesson learn't here...... Don't use cheap tools on soft metal nuts!

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did you try the chisel method described here:

I was originally going to suggest using pliers but in the video above it sounds like it stripped the bolt more.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Are you able to clamp a genuine Vise-Grips on the rounded nut? Were you trying an open-end wrench or box wrench when this happened? If you haven't tried box wrench, do that.

See Does such a tool already exist?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Can you get a nut splitter on there. They make small ones.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you can get a Dremel in there with a little cut off disc.With some care and patience you should be able to cut the head off of the bolt. Then use some vice grips to remove the remaining threaded part after you get the pulley off and out of the way.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
If you can get a Dremel in there with a little cut off disc.With some care and patience you should be able to cut the head off of the bolt. Then use some vice grips to remove the remaining threaded part after you get the pulley off and out of the way.
I guess I am a bit confused. Is it a nut or a bolt? Obviously a nut splitter won't work on a bolt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I looked back, it was a nut. I would find my buddy with the strongest grip (have an arm wrestling contest)::wink:: and buy the best vice grips I could buy! Have him squeeze those Buggers as tight as he can. I bet that nut and maybe the stud also will come out together. It's probably a flanged nut so the Dremel thing would be pretty difficult. The lack of room to work is going to be a problem with anything but the vice grips.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to try and grind the nut off and then replace the stud. Does anyone know if the part of the stud that threads into the pulley is reverse thread? Would hate to go the wrong way and snap it off just because I thought it was stuck tight ;)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Obviously you haven't removed the other 3 yet, you rounded off the first one. Regular right-hand thread.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How round. Did you do it with a 12 point socket/box wrench. Use 6 point socket.
Very round! :D
I used a 12 point box wrench. There's no room to get a socket on there unless I strip the whole front of the car down and remove the fan from the fan clutch.
A mechanic friend suggested double nutting the stud and just removing the whole stud/nut that way but the stud was just too short even after grinding the nuts down to make them thinner.
The old clutch works fine but it's an aftermarket heavy duty model and it sounds like a jet engine plus it's killing my MPG with the extra drag. I have an OEM Nissan one on my desk.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The offending beastie...........

Tool used for removal!!!

They do say that necessity is the mother of invention :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
The offending beastie...........

Tool used for removal!!!

They do say that necessity is the mother of invention :D
Way to Go!
I've been a mechanic/machinist/welder for almost 40yrs and never, never, ever seen or used a wire stripper on a rounded off nut or bolt!
We used to have to remove the oil galley plugs from the side of big block Chevys before we put them in the acid tank. Those Buggers could be really tough, unless you:angel:beat your Snap-On impact socket that was one size too small over the hex on the plug! Whacking something with a hammer can also help with the offending:frown:nut/bolt/plug that is stuck/seized and that was probably part of my success with that socket beating tactic!
I still have that socket in my tool box.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a solution born out of pure frustration. I had been trying to get at this nut for a while now, I had tried all different wrenches to no avail. The location was difficult for pliers to get a grip and there is no room to get any kind of socket on there. I had been searching around for one of those Grip-Tite wrenches but couldn't find one locally.
While searching through my tool bags for a solution I found the coax crimper/stripper and though "what the heck, it's worth a try" Luckily enough the nut was so rounded and the metal was softened after all the rounding that the end crimping section fit just right and I was able to get enough pressure on the handles to grip and turn the nut!!!!!

New fan clutch installed and the old girl is happy again. If you do need to get a new fan clutch then do get an OEM Nissan one, it's more expensive but it works right.
I originally got this one from amazon but it's way too heavy duty and causes a big drop in MPG due to extra drag (2-3 mpg) and it caused my fan belt to squeak very annoyingly until the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Did you ever try a Vise-Grip or needlenose Vise-Grip before that wire stripper tool?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.