Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have a 07 4x4 with 140,000 miles. I don't know the last time shocks have been changed. working on the shock today. All the bottom bolts were super tough to get off but i managed to get the back done and was able to loosen the passenger side front. I ended up rounding off the bottom nut on the drivers side front shock. I know its a simple question but anyone done this should i use one of these.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Those types of extractors work well. Even you can get some heat on the nut, it will also help.

·
Registered
501 Posts
By all means try the extractor it will probably work and can't make things any worse, as mentioned above some heat may help. If that doesn't work you may need to cut it off.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's exactly what I used on one of mine. Top nut stripped for me. Worked like a charm. Local dealership had new nuts in stock. Wasn't that expensive and even came in a pack with three for the entire upper mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're talking about the lower bolt, I believe it's a 19mm and torqued to 155 ft-lbs. It's rusted for 140,000 miles. The reason I ended up cutting mine off is my 1/2 drive impact wouldn't budge it and I was afraid of snapping my breaker bar with the pipe added for leverage. I'd really be careful of your knuckles using an extractor on something that tight and rusted. If you've got a way to cut the nut/bolt off with a cut off wheel, dremel with a cut off or maybe even a sawzall it might be the way to go. If I remember the replacement nut and bolt from Nissan was about $10 - $15.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts