Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project save a hoe is here!

I had a Thailand model 2008 with the YD25DDTi turbo diesel engine, GT2860RS turbo upgrade, custom 3" exhaust, alcohol injection, DTE injector and rail pressure chips along with a PRG advanced lift kit and a 2" body lift on 33's. It was around 200whp and 270wtq, not fast but it could tow anything I needed. For some reason I sold that and bought a 370Z.

The Z has a built bottom end, GTR turbo conversion with twin GTX2871R's and all the mods to support it.

Street trim

Drag trim

Anyway back to the new to me Frontier.

My criteria was basically to find a not too banged up 09+ king cab Pro-4x since they have the newer AC controls, white gauges and factory E-locker. I found a 2012 that is a little rough around the edges and has 230k miles. The mileage didn't really concern me since the VK swap was a must.

It's with my good friend and tuner (www.btwtuning.com) in Michigan who is doing all the work so I can just drive it down to Miami whenever the US gets COVID under control.

The plan is as follows:

Ebay 4" intake meant for an 09 Cobra (replacing the shitty ebay filter with a Vibrant velocity stack & filter)
JBA Long tube headers 1 7/8" primaries & 3" collector
Diamond Eye 3.5" exhaust (Meant for the Titan so will need a little modding)
370z injectors
AEM 340lph fuel pump
JWT cams & valve springs (waiting on them to get back to me about the C8S7 combo for the VVT VK)
Uprev tune from BTWTuning
CSF radiator
Dual E-fan conversion, might see if i can make a shroud for the 370z fans
New OEM transmission cooler
Level 10 torque converter & valve body upgrades
PRG engine & transmission mounts

If the suspension is good I will leave that alone while it's still in the US but I do plan to put the PRG advanced lift it on it at some point since I was happy with that on my Navara.

So far I have sourced:
43k mile engine
33k mile transmission
PRG engine & transmission mounts
Donor harnesses sent to Driven Desire
JBA long tube headers

Looking forward to being in a Frontier again with some decent power.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Level Ten is about 20 minutes away from me. why not just do a full bulletproof transmission.

·
Premium Member
12,044 Posts
one of the main reasons i went VK in the frontier was oem reliability. stock intake on stock tune and i can roast my 35s off.

modding it out, i would prepare for a project.
ive seen some odd issues when you start throwing all these parts together.

for sure make sure you get those headers wrapped or you will likely be replacing your engine mounts frequently.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one of the main reasons i went VK in the frontier was oem reliability. stock intake on stock tune and i can roast my 35s off.

modding it out, i would prepare for a project.
ive seen some odd issues when you start throwing all these parts together.

for sure make sure you get those headers wrapped or you will likely be replacing your engine mounts frequently.
I can't see what issues an intake, headers, exhaust and cams would lead to by their powers combined but stranger **** has happened. Thanks for the heads up.

I got the ceramic coated JBA headers, I'd rather fab a sheet metal heat shield if one can be made to fit between the mounts and the headers. Header wrap is an itchy pain in the *** and I don't have a good experience with it lasting longer than 2 months before it deteriorates.

·
Premium Member
12,044 Posts
right you wont until you do. the axles love to creep up with lovely issues once so much more power is on them.
you run out of suspension quick offroad with it, and can quickly get into fun yet sketch situations with it haha.

heat shield would be decent, just a tight space to work in. my long tubes rested physically on my engine mount on my passenger side and needed ground down a little.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right you wont until you do. the axles love to creep up with lovely issues once so much more power is on them.
you run out of suspension quick offroad with it, and can quickly get into fun yet sketch situations with it haha.

heat shield would be decent, just a tight space to work in. my long tubes rested physically on my engine mount on my passenger side and needed ground down a little.
Ah that's making sense now. Hopefully the only issues I encounter are from hooning. I will pass on the info to my tuner about the header, no project would be complete without using a cut off wheel
😅

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Summit canceled the header since JBA no longer has any of the Titanium colored coated versions. I didn't want shiny but the chrome ceramic coated ones are all they have currently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts