Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 05' Frontier in for its first warranty checkup this morning (3000 mile), and mentioned that I experience a loud squeaking noise when I drive on anything thats not smooth pavement (dirt/gravel roads, fields, etc). I asked them to check out the suspension to see what they could find.

They took a look and said that they've identified the problem as the fuel tank's filler hose (the one that goes from the fender to the tank) rubbing on something. They asked that I bring it in during the week so that they can further investigate and/or fix the problem.

Has anyone else heard of this, or had any similar squeaking issues that may have had other causes?

I'm just throwing this out there to see if its an isolated issue or not. Aside from this squeak, however, I couldn't be happier with the truck :)

-Dan

·
Registered
492 Posts
Had a squeak in the front of the truck. Turned out it was the rubber hood stops. Put a dab of grease on them then all was quite.

·
Registered
129 Posts
dsx said:
I took my 05' Frontier in for its first warranty checkup this morning (3000 mile), and mentioned that I experience a loud squeaking noise when I drive on anything thats not smooth pavement (dirt/gravel roads, fields, etc). I asked them to check out the suspension to see what they could find. They took a look and said that they've identified the problem as the fuel tank's filler hose (the one that goes from the fender to the tank) rubbing on something. They asked that I bring it in during the week so that they can further investigate and/or fix the problem. Has anyone else heard of this, or had any similar squeaking issues that may have had other causes? I'm just throwing this out there to see if its an isolated issue or not. Aside from this squeak, however, I couldn't be happier with the truck
If it's in the rear of the truck it's very likely that it is the leaf springs/shackles. This is a common problem with this truck, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a TSB issued on it. I had the problem, and the dealer replaced the right leaf spring under warranty. Since that time I've heard about the identical problem from at least 6 other owners.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yep

I have had the same thing going on with mine. I did see that it looked like the rubber gromit for the sway bar in the rear was also getting sqeezed out. but I am very hard on my trucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I did take a further look at it myself, with the help of my brother jumping up and down in the truck bed to simulate 'rough terrain' :), and it definately is coming from the rear suspention area .. I havent been able to pin point it yet, but I guess I'll see what happens when I take it in (hopefully next week).

-Dan

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had the same problem

I had the same problem took it to the dealer and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong so i to matters into my own hands and just sprayed some white lithium grease in between each leaf and on the front and rear attaching points. Solved the problem, since then I have put on the prg kit and have not heard any squeaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called them this morning to make the appointment and they said the part hasnt come in yet (I'm not exactly sure what they ordered) so I'll have to wait a while longer to see if what they do fixes it.

If the problem continues I'll definately grease things up some.

-Dan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: Had the same problem

05_Electric_Blue_Nismo said:
I had the same problem took it to the dealer and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong so i to matters into my own hands and just sprayed some white lithium grease in between each leaf and on the front and rear attaching points. Solved the problem, since then I have put on the prg kit and have not heard any squeaks.
Great to hear this,since my rear end is starting to squeak a little....I was thinking the same thing about greasing it,instead of letting the dealer mess with it.My experience in the past with things like this is that they are a hassle .I would rather try to quiet it myself first.I also have a PRG kit going on as soon as I make the time to do it.I guess I'll investigate the squeaks at the same time.
Jay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, its been a while, but I finally managed to break my way through my Dealer's customer service reps and have my truck looked at. (I had called to make the appointment, they said they needed to order a part first and would call me ... a week goes by... I call them saying 'wtf?' and they told me there WAS no part, that I should just make the appointment and bring my truck in .. argh!)

So in any case, they had my truck -all day-, and after telling me that they determined the squeak to be one of the body mounts and that they were going to grease it, my paperwork ended up saying:

Traced down to incorrect adjustment of the left rear leaf spring. Readjusted the left rear leaf spring
The noise seems to be gone, at least, so I'm happy about that, but the service itself? Wow. I've heard that dealer service departments are ridiculous, but (this being my first new vehicle) I've never had the first hand experience before.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i noticed squeeking on the bed of my frontier and located the squeeking sound on my left leafs/shackle area after taking it out for it's first offroad run, it's a good feeling knowing that I'm not the only with this problem, b/c i was seriously freaking out that i messed something up on the new truck. hopefully it's not to big of a problem, switching to deavers pretty soon anyway though.

-Joseph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well being in the state of Illinois there are only 1 or 2 roads that are smooth. The other day my 05 was squeeking from the back also, i'm waiting for my first oil change and bring in a list. It seems to me that if one has a problem they all have it....not good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Update....Mine has stopped squeaking :D I had to travel on alot of rough dirt roads in muddy conditions.....A little playing around seems to have helped maybe break in the suspension a bit. :roll: It seemed to be coming from the shackles/leaf spring mounts.There is a plastic piece there(hard to describe) that rubs the shackle.If you get someone to stand on the tailgate and get the truck bouncing a little up and down and side to side you can find it easily.I'll put graphite lube there if the sqeaks come back on my truck.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As Electric blue stated, shoot some lithium between the leaves. Common problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 3 weeks of tracking down this squek on the front of my 2005 frontier I finally found the problem.
After spaying down every plastic and rubber on the front end and all mounts it turns out none of them were the problem.

After I grabed the bumper by mistake I heard the squeak clear as day.
In between the bumber and lower fender( Left Side front) I spayed some wd40 all over the plastic cover and All squeaks in front end are gone.

This has been driving me crazy for over a month now becuase it sounds like my old farm truck coming down the road.
Hope this helps anyone the is going crazy over this squeak

Kman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front End Squeaking

I have an 05 Nissmo 4x4 that is experiencing a similar problem--an unidentified squeak that comes from somewhere in the front left of the truck.

It is a very high pitched squeak that occurs when the truck is on uneven terrain, such as a dirt road, or driving across uneven joints in the pavement/road. The noise seems to occur more frequently with increasing outside temperatures, and on paved roads at about 30 MPH. Of course, the squeak occurs at all speeds on dirt or off road conditions. The noise is coming from somewhere around the front left tire/engine area.

I have taken the truck to the dealership 5 times for the problem--the last time it was in the dealer tore off the front bumper and put some anti seize stuff on the mounts.
It didn't work; I'm having the same problem again.

My truck has now just passed 12,200 miles, and NISSAN will not warranty "noises" after 12,000 miles. Although I imagine the dealership will continue to work with me because the problem occurred before 12k. They've been good to me so far...but just haven't been effective on solving the problem.

Anyone have any advice?

--josh

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Front End Squeaking

NISSMOGuy said:
I have an 05 Nissmo 4x4 that is experiencing a similar problem--an unidentified squeak that comes from somewhere in the front left of the truck.

It is a very high pitched squeak that occurs when the truck is on uneven terrain, such as a dirt road, or driving across uneven joints in the pavement/road. The noise seems to occur more frequently with increasing outside temperatures, and on paved roads at about 30 MPH. Of course, the squeak occurs at all speeds on dirt or off road conditions. The noise is coming from somewhere around the front left tire/engine area.

I have taken the truck to the dealership 5 times for the problem--the last time it was in the dealer tore off the front bumper and put some anti seize stuff on the mounts.
It didn't work; I'm having the same problem again.

My truck has now just passed 12,200 miles, and NISSAN will not warranty "noises" after 12,000 miles. Although I imagine the dealership will continue to work with me because the problem occurred before 12k. They've been good to me so far...but just haven't been effective on solving the problem.

Anyone have any advice?

--josh
I've heard of squeaks coming from two different sources in that area. Both are annoying, but are easy 30-second fixes. Open the hood and look on the underside--on each side you'll see a round rubber bumper. I dabbed a bit of heavy bearing grease on each, and the squeaking went away immediately. Many others have had a squeaking noise from under the hood on the driver's side--as you're viewing the firewall, look at the left side of the power brake booster and you'll see an A/C return line; it has a clip around it that is very close to the firewall and can rub against it, causing the squeaking. The fix is as simple as rotating the clip so that it doesn't contact the firewall. Hope this helps--God bless.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did the same as biker did. A little dab of grease on the rubber hood stops and squeak was GONE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Annoying Noise

Well, I took my truck out yesterday and did some investigative driving to try and figure out exactly what was making the noise. I found some bumpy spots in a dirt road and drove over them to make sure the noise would occur. It did. So I popped the hood making sure that the rubber stoppers weren't in contact with the chassis and drove over the bumps again and "TA-DA" NO SQUEAKING.

So I took it to the dealer and described to them what I had found. They were excited to hear that I had located the squeak--because it relieved them of the investigative work--and sprayed the rubber things with WD-40.

Well, on the way home, the hood squeaked again...so I'm under the impression that WD-40 is not going to do the trick.

What grease did you guys use to see results?

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
Re: Annoying Noise

NISMOGuy said:
What grease did you guys use to see results?
I had the squeaking hood problem on my 2000 Honda Civic. I used a spray "White Grease" but I'm pretty sure you can use any thicker grease, like axel grease, and brush it on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts