Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2001 King Cab, 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive, 154K miles. In recent years I've noticed the ride seems rough. Specifically on things like small potholes, which in another car might give a softer "thump", in my truck it hits hard and really rattles the truck. Seems like something is wrong in the suspension. I replaced all 4 shocks - not much difference. I've also replaced the sway/stabilizer bars in the front (mechanic recommended for another reason). Whatever it is it seems like it's more in the front.

I may take it to Nissan dealer this week, but it will be $120 or so just to diagnose things, so wondering if anyone has suggestions on other parts to look into.

One thing I did was measure the height of my truck. It was about 61'', whereas the spec I saw said height was 63''. I wonder if something has settled too much over the years, or if that's normal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any good alignment shops around? Instead of paying a dealer $120 you may want to find a good suspension/alignment shop to take a look. In any case, the first gen Frontier isn't known for its smooth ride. I always go to Consumer Reports before I buy a used car just to read their opinion. They're not always right but I think they are in the case of the 2001 they reviewed new:
The Frontier's ride is harsh and bouncy. Bumps transmit hard shocks, and passengers are tossed and jiggled constantly.

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
After enough years, the springs could have sagged enough where you are hitting the bump stops more often then you should.

Also, how old are your tires? I noticed a difference on my current beater car when I replaced two of the oldest tires. Noticeably softer ride. Old tires hard as hockey pucks?

With that said, don't bother going to the dealer, they won't tell you anything a much cheaper independent shop will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts