Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '06 Crew Cab SE w/ the 6 speed manual w/ 300 miles. When I shift gears more from 1-2, 2-3 its very jerky. I am reving about 3K, clutch, shift ,release clutch, gas. I am not nailing the gas, when i get back on sort easying it on. If I really baby it its ok, but regular shifting its jeryk. Just wondering if any one else with the manual trans experiece this problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, its gear really low, I guess designed for towing. I wouldn't say its really jerky on mine, but if I'm hard on the gas it can definetly jerk me around.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i think you're just getting used to it... i was pretty jerky when i got mine too, but after 7000 miles now i dont really have a problem. although adding the helper leaf springs as in the thread by 05_NISMO_4X4 helps with this too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SnarfFrontier_06 said:
i think you're just getting used to it... i was pretty jerky when i got mine too, but after 7000 miles now i dont really have a problem. although adding the helper leaf springs as in the thread by 05_NISMO_4X4 helps with this too.

I have to agree with him on that... it's just getting used to it. I used to slam people around when I first got the truck. Now the only time they get slammed - and only into the seat - is when I'm racing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The accelerator is REALLY touchy too.. which won't help when driving stick Im sure. You'll get used to it though -- just remember how bad the car bucked when you first learned how to drive stick! :)

- Greg -

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
That throttle tip-in, doesnt seem to be an issue on the manuals...

on my brothers friends, whis is a nismo auto 2x4, I commented about the throttle tip-in being insane...

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have only 1,200 Miles on mine and it shifts wonderfully, but I shift at around 2200 RPM instead of 3000. Wife has no trouble either; she shifts like a pro. Neither of us are fast drivers and are trying to save gas, so we're probably atypical in our driving habits. Now that my engine is broken in, I'll probably try for some quicker, higher-rev shifts and see what happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some driving around today and I noticed if I don't fully release the clutch all the way, maybe little more than 3/4 of the way, and go back on the gas its pretty smooth. Probably doing this is not good on the clutch. Maybe should do this only when I have passengers in the truck.

·
1,482 Posts
or you could just say "It's a truck"
:twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Disconnect your negative battery cable for an hour.

I had the same issue with my '06 KC - after the first 200 miles I couldn't shift smoothly to save my life. It drove me crazy - at first i thought it was me, but a friend who drove the truck the night i bought it (and who raved about the transmission) drove it again around the 500 mile mark and couldn't shift normally either.

I found ECU reset / throttle position reset procedures on this forum but could never get it to work. Finally, I disconnected the negative battery cable - whatever reset cleared the problem because Its been 700 miles and the jerkiness has never returned.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine's smooth unless I'm pushing it hard. The only thing I had to get used to is the clutch's friction point is really high on the pedal - almost all the way out; but that's something that different from one vehicle to another.

I'd say it was operator error. :lol:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have had no problems with the 6M - Throttle by Wire tandem. I can be silky smooth or real agressive. I don't pay attention to revs; it's all in what I want to do. Upshifting should be a smooth expereince. It's downshifting that might require a double clutch to prevent jerkiness. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks brucewayen. I disconnected the battery while I did the grounding kit, and I did notice the shifting is a little better. Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've noticed the jerkiness as well, and it seems disconnetcing and reconnecting the battery seemed to work. Well I had to remove my battery cables since I just installed an aftermarket Aux. lights

·
Registered
838 Posts
you guys can't be serious? i thought i had to live w/ this problem as well. orginally, i thought i couldn't shift worth a damn ,but then after a while i come to realize it had to be that damn fly by wire. i'm going to try this out tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
With the 1,200 Mile break-in now complete, I wound mine out this morning about a half-dozen times. Nothing stupid like WOT at standing start, but a fast accelleration from a stop, up through all six gears and it was fantastic. My passenger said I was shifting at 4,000 RPM. Smooth as glass. Geez it was fun.

·
Registered
838 Posts
i finished testing this theory it did improve the overall shifting. it felt less abrupt, especially in 1st and 2nd. i unhooked the battery completely and waited about 2 hours. i figured that it couldn't hurt to clean the connector's real well.
nick

·
1,482 Posts
SpikedLemon said:
Mine's smooth unless I'm pushing it hard. The only thing I had to get used to is the clutch's friction point is really high on the pedal - almost all the way out; but that's something that different from one vehicle to another.
this is common, at least from my experiance, on nissan pickups, both my 86 and 97 the friction point on the clutch was really high on the clutch pedal uptake. the 06 is the same...

but they all have a very linear feel to them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts