Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed DT headers onto my 1st gen truck using all hardware provided from 4x4parts, which included new bolts, gaskets, etc. My O2 sensors were going out as well so I opted to replace all 4. The shop I took my truck too said a couple O2's were too short, so I sourced the same brand but with longer wiring and we used those in place. As far as I know at this point everything is going smoothly.

Before all this work my truck ran perfectly fine and I never had an issue with it. Unfortunately now I'm getting the issues in the title and I'm trying to figure out what's up.

When I start my truck the idle is fine, and once it works itself up it starts to get rougher and rougher until it sounds like my truck has a lope. The idle is intermittently rough but evens out every so often. Under normal acceleration it is a toss up sometimes, it's like nothing is wrong and other times it is really bogged down and impossible to accelerate. If I accelerate hard, sometimes I get a CEL and cylinder misfire. So basically the computer is trying to compensate for a loss somewhere.

So, I took the truck back to the shop and asked them to try to figure out what is wrong. After $600 and a full day they said I have low compression in a cylinder and my piston rings are bad. Now they are recommending I get my engine rebuilt and the labor to drop it back in with a grand total of like $3k. I'm weary to believe their diagnosis because the truck ran perfectly fine the day before I dropped it off. The truck is drivable but it just runs like ***.

Do you think the shop messed up? How can I check?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Brand is NTK/NGK. Plugs are NGK as well as wires too. Going to play around with the O2 connections and see if they accidentally swapped some around.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Can't tell if that's the engine fan hissing like an air vacuum leak or an actual vacuum leak but from the sound of your video it seems to be coming from the pcv crossover pipe area, the pipe with 90 degree rubber hose elbows that connects each valve cover pcv system

Is your MAF and throttle body plugs connected properly?

Did you check the condition of the o2 sensors they installed? Is it possible they broke during installation?

Also check the condition of fuel lines near where they installed the headers under the truck and on the pass side of the engine under the hood , they could have kinked a line.

I would check all of their work thoroughly, look at what they had to take off to install the headers and make sure they put everything back properly.

Things like this is exactly why I do my own work and fix everything myself

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
New development. Unplugged the rear O2's while idle and the truck evened out perfectly. Unplugged them all and same result. Of course now my truck is probably running rich as hell, and it popped a CEL. Sound like the O2's are definitely the culprit? Thing is, before it threw no codes for any O2 sensors it just ran terrible.

·
Registered
674 Posts
New development. Unplugged the rear O2's while idle and the truck evened out perfectly. Unplugged them all and same result. Of course now my truck is probably running rich as hell, and it popped the SES light but at least it runs. Sound like the O2's are definitely the culprit? Thing is, before it threw no codes for any O2 sensors it just ran terrible.
Are you sure you have the right sensors since you had them change all of them? Did they have to splice the sensors you have them to make them work? Ask for your old sensors and throw them on

Or even better if you have a scan tool check your o2 sensor voltages

The main ones to check are your front sensors don't bother with the downstream ones until you check the fronts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I don't have any scanning goodness at home. I had picked up a bluetooth adapter and have been using the Torque app for Android, but for some reason my adapter doesn't connect to the truck.

What happened with the sensors is they said 1 or 2 of them was too short (because of my lift), so instead of splicing them (which they said they don't like to do), they had me buy/swap them out for one of the other sensors with a longer length. All the sensors were replaced with new except for one but I think that one is good.

Going to check the O2's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got an update. 3 out of 4 of my O2 sensors were tagged, so I followed the 4th sensor wire down to the sensor. Wasn't even screwed in! Let me say that spark plug #6 has nothing on what a pain in the *** that sensor is. My bet was that the mechanic was going to charge me to redo the engine, but just let the truck sit for weeks, and then give me a call to come get it while he screwed in the sensor. What a total dick. Guess he figured I wasn't very mechanically inclined. I screwed it in, cleared the computer, and the truck is fine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Got an update. 3 out of 4 of my O2 sensors were tagged, so I followed the 4th sensor to the sensor. Wasn't even screwed in! Let me say that spark plug #6 has nothing on what a pain in the *** that sensor is. My bet was that the mechanic was going to charge me to redo the engine, but just let the truck sit for weeks, and then give me a call to come get it while he screwed in the sensor. What a total dick. Guess he figured I wasn't very mechanically inclined. I screwed it in, cleared the computer, and the truck is fine.
Must have been an upstream sensor closer to the engine? Yeah I have better luck accessing those through the wheel wells

·
Registered
260 Posts
Reading things like this lead me to one of 2 conclusions. One, for the benefit of the doubt, they "missed" plugging that last sensor in and they are incompetent. The other, as was hinted at here, was they did it intentionally to try and wring a lot of money out of you. That kind of crap reaaaaally pisses me off, especially as I just ordered my headers and exhaust from JBA today. I cannot stand people in this or any other industry who go and squirt some oil under someone's car, then lead them out to show it to them and put them through the wringer for several thousands of $$$ of unnecessary repairs. There should be far more sting operations in this industry IMHO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's exactly it. Incompetent or shady they are bad either way so I'm not going there again. That was my suspicion all along so as a test I decided to text the mechanic. No matter what I said he stood by that the truck was broken and needed all these additional fixes. I've been driving it 60 mile round trip for a week with no problems. He couldn't own up to it because he would have been outed either way. I take my truck to shops because I don't have all the equipment at home to do heavy lifting tasks, but I'm not an average person. I'm sure if I was an average person that wasn't good with a wrench this guy would have gotten away with robbery. It's a shame guys like that exist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts