Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting this, but now I see I may need adjustable cam bolts for lower cntrl arm, which my 2019 doesnt appear to have.

Is this really needed, can they do alignment without it?

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier Pro4x
390 Posts
you will also need aftermarket upper control arms to use spacers correctly. the added length of the coilover caused by the spacer causes Coil Bucket Contact.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
207 Posts
On the Frontier you get cbc when you go with a 2" spacer. You can ignore our advise and do it your way, but when you get cbc, you're going to have to buy UCA, take your suspension apart, and get another alignment. We're trying to keep you from wasting time and money.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
never heard this, most just install the spacers and go...
Unfortunately the frontier was manufactured with upper control arms that run into the coil bucket on down travel. You wouldn't know this unless you lift your truck, but you are correct, most people are okay without control arms, but Nissan is not. I had the RC 2.5" lift and level spacer kit at one time. You will absolutely need lower control arm cam bolts, but don't but rough country's, they're cheap and they bend/deform. Buy some that are 10.9 or grade 8. They're all giving you good advice above. Lifting a nissan is expensive and involved.

Reactions: raine

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
never heard this, most just install the spacers and go...
...and most of those (if not all) end up posting new threads complaining/wondering why they are dealing with CBC and positive camper and clunking and can't get a proper alignment... and so forth.

Do yourself a favor, 2 things:

1. Read through a lot of threads in this Suspension section of the forum, there's a lot of existing information explaining why you DO need certain parts to do certain suspension mods.
2. Don't be cheap, if you want to lift do it right. This platform has been around for 17 years, there are no secret tricks or hacks with regards to lifting it.

You can do it the cheap/lazy way or you can do it the right way 👌

·
Registered
390 Posts
if you want to level your truck, you can snag lift springs from any company and use them on your current struts...unless they have a lot of mileage on them and in that case may be better just to replace those at the same time. a lift spring should get you around 2" of lift and not need upper arms since you aren't increasing the length of your assembly.

either way, lifting your truck will require cam bolts so just plan on buying those at the same time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you want to level your truck, you can snag lift springs from any company and use them on your current struts...unless they have a lot of mileage on them and in that case may be better just to replace those at the same time. a lift spring should get you around 2" of lift and not need upper arms since you aren't increasing the length of your assembly.

either way, lifting your truck will require cam bolts so just plan on buying those at the same time.

this is interesting...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Here is one of the reads from the suspension section of the forum Raine was mentioning:

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
all good info, sounds like this $99.00 mod is going way above what Im willing to do. Dont need trouble down the road...
No trouble at all if (again) you do it the right way. Many other Frontier owners have done levelling or more successfully before you with zero trouble down the road. I personally have a more involved lift on my daily driven truck but it's been solid and trouble-free for over 7 years now.

The truth of the matter is that the cheaper lift kits are cheap for a reason - they are the cheapest way to get the lifted look; however that's only good if you're truck stands still and you never drive it. Once you start driving it (especially daily driving) that is when common "cheap lift" issues like incorrect alignment, coil-bucket contact, axle wrap, and so forth come to light.

The wrong way is to slap on a spacer lift and call it a day. The right way is to install the spacer lift and (at minimum) have camber bolts installed as well in order to have the ability to correct the alignment after the lift. Unfortunately, since you mentioned that your particular vehicle does not come with OEM camber bolts, there's no way around it - you will have to spend at least $30-$60 more to buy camber bolts as part of the lifting process if you want to do it the right way.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
No trouble at all if (again) you do it the right way. Many other Frontier owners have done levelling or more successfully before you with zero trouble down the road. I personally have a more involved lift on my daily driven truck but it's been solid and trouble-free for over 7 years now.

The truth of the matter is that the cheaper lift kits are cheap for a reason - they are the cheapest way to get the lifted look; however that's only good if you're truck stands still and you never drive it. Once you start driving it (especially daily driving) that is when common "cheap lift" issues like incorrect alignment, coil-bucket contact, axle wrap, and so forth come to light.

The wrong way is to slap on a spacer lift and call it a day. The right way is to install the spacer lift and (at minimum) have camber bolts installed as well in order to have the ability to correct the alignment after the lift. Unfortunately, since you mentioned that your particular vehicle does not come with OEM camber bolts, there's no way around it - you will have to spend at least $30-$60 more to buy camber bolts as part of the lifting process if you want to do it the right way.
^^ This. I have the camber bolts and All Dogs Offroad's upper control arms, with Bilstein 6112 front coil-overs and a 2" top-hat lift. The truck rides and tracks very well ( for a truck that is, don't ever expect this is gonna be a Corvette in the corners or a Lexus on rough asphault ( which is about all we get here in Maryland )), the correct way is never gonna be inexpensive, but it's the right way and will last, as Raine pointed out.
I just lifted mine last year but plenty on here have been lifted for over a decade. Do it the right way and it'll outlast the truck ( with the exception of shocks, which will always be a wear item, no matter what ).
BRW I got ARB / Old Man Emu shocks for the rear to replace my completely toasted stock Bilstein 4600s at 109k, and they ride great. Firm without being overly jouncy or stiff.

That Updated Suspension sticky is pure goldmine, read it and use it, it's free advice from those who have gone before, and I read it all the way through and took notes, before spending a single dime on suspension parts.

Reactions: raine

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Well, like RyanD1966 said - the information is there in the suspension sticky (and the link I gave you earlier).
You just have to actually read it to be able to use the information, understand what is required for what you want to do, and determine what you'll need to buy and what you'll need to do after installation.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts