Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Frontier experts...

I'm up to 8K miles on my new SV Crew-cab...4x4 Frontier. Rotation is every 5K miles. I'm considering including the full size spare tire on the rotation. I'll end up replacing 5 tires say after 70K to 80K miles. For an 80K rated tire that means a theoretical extension of 20Kmile with the full size spare added to the rotation.

Why: Tires degrade due (dry rotting) regardless of usage. The spare tire will be wasted at the end of cycle.

It means i need to purchase an additional alloy wheel for my full size spare tire.

My previous SUV lasted for 17 years... The original spare tire was never used for all that time.

I'm all ears...Looking for suggestions, recommendations, inputs...

thanks and regards

Noel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Tpms?

·
Admin
3,285 Posts
I think one issue may be with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I'm pretty sure the system (computer) only supports 4 tires, so I think in addition to installing a Sensor in the spare (I don't believe it has one), you would also need to at least 'relearn' the system each time you rotate, and I'm not sure what happens when it can 'see' 5 sensors, during the learn process. Someone can pipe in to clarify?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3rd party TPMS

A 3rd party TPMS can be mounted on all 5 tires... RVs and trailer TPMS can monitor more than 4 tires. I will review the existing on my truck and the computer. I can leave the existing as is. The aftermarket can be added without removing the existing one.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Or use a tire gauge.

·
Admin
3,285 Posts
I mention it because I believe some states require the tpms for state inspection, if equipped. My state doesn't but I'm pretty sure my friend in WV said it does IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Not worth the bother, there isn’t enough net gain to do this but you’re welcome to do whatever you want. Just always air up the spare so it’s good if ever needed. That double dent in the sidewall from being held against the frame comes out? How about the corrosion the wheel will get from debris laying on it while under there. Once you rotate them all they will equally be degraded from being under the bed.

Clint

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is the spare the same wheel as the rest? I know that it isn't on my 2012 SV.

If it wasn't for TPMS, and a different wheel, then I would rotate the spare as well.

Vic

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I agree with Clint. I see no benefit for rotating in your spare tire.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Not worth the bother, there isn’t enough net gain to do this but you’re welcome to do whatever you want. Just always air up the spare so it’s good if ever needed. That double dent in the sidewall from being held against the frame comes out? How about the corrosion the wheel will get from debris laying on it while under there. Once you rotate them all they will equally be degraded from being under the bed.

Clint
That double-dent is why I put a cover on my spare when I swapped out the OEM tire to match my KO2s

·
Registered
520 Posts
If they are the stock tires Nissan put on @ the factory I wouldn't bother. Mine were toast at 28Kmi, and that was fine by me!! I couldn't imagine adding another 8K to my misery.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is the spare the same wheel as the rest? I know that it isn't on my 2012 SV.

If it wasn't for TPMS, and a different wheel, then I would rotate the spare as well.

Vic
Currently Nissan uses the same tire but the rim is a steely... Personally I do not like 5 tire rotations as at no time will the rotated in tire have the exact diameter as the rest, might not amount to a hill of beans but it is still different. I'll just think about buying a new spare tire once every 5 years or so...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For an 80K rated tire that means a theoretical extension of 20Kmile with the full size spare added to the rotation.

At least get a year or more on the set of 5 before purchase of the next set

My spare is a full size tire on a metal rim. I need to purchase an allow rim similar to the 4...

It means every 5K miles one of the wheel will be tucked under the bed...

Rotation service is free. Part of free-maintenance

·
Registered
355 Posts
On page 8-41 of my 2017 owners manual, it shows rotating front to rear, and not left to right.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
On page 8-41 of my 2017 owners manual, it shows rotating front to rear, and not left to right.
Front tires go straight back to the rear, rear tires change sides and go to the front ::wink::

1 - 16 of 16 Posts