Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010 Frontier SE 4X4 4 Door. I am contemplating adding the roof rack like the Nismos have. Is this possible? Does the SE already have the mounting points in the roof that maybe are covered up? I would also like to ask if anyone could direct me to a good site that may have this as well as some "Bed Bars" for lack of a better word. The ones that mount to the bed and come up over the roof of the truck a bit and can be used to mount lights. Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If your truck didn't come with the roof rack...then they are missing the support beams in the roof structure that holds it. You can purchase all of the components to the roof rack and install it...I just wouldn't recommend putting anything up there with a significant amount of weight as you may be disappointed with a possible roof collapse!

Here's a link to the parts of the roof rack that you can order from Fontana Nissan:

Nissan Performance Aftermarket Parts | Nismo | Nissan Racing Parts

Hope that helps!

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Scott. What amount of weight do you feel would be OK if not bouncing around? Do you think I should just stick to finding something for the bed?

·
Super Moderator
11,078 Posts
There was a thread that someone found an aftermarket maker of the racks but way less expensive. Try the search feature, I know it's there somewhere.

Clint

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
If your truck didn't come with the roof rack...then they are missing the support beams in the roof structure that holds it. You can purchase all of the components to the roof rack and install it...I just wouldn't recommend putting anything up there with a significant amount of weight as you may be disappointed with a possible roof collapse!

Here's a link to the parts of the roof rack that you can order from Fontana Nissan:

Nissan Performance Aftermarket Parts | Nismo | Nissan Racing Parts

Hope that helps!

Scott
Sorry Scott but I gotta call BS on the support beams in the roof.

there are no cross supports in a hard top LE with a roof rack. There are 4 mounting plates that are spot welded to the roof. those plates have threaded holes in them for the blots that bolt the rack to the roof. They are thin sheet metal and have 0 load bearing support across the roof. You can do what I did and drill 16 holes in your roof use grade 8 bolts with large fenderwashes in the cab with silicone. had it on my truck 3 years no leaks. Or you can do what a few of the KC guys have done and use the mounting brackets and oem bolts.

Also the rack is only rated for 125 lbs. thats not a lot of weight you should never have an issue with a roof collapse. You have the same risk any one else that has a rack has of it collapsing in on it self.

I was the first known truck to do it. It can be done, and successfully as well

·
Registered
588 Posts
Take my advice as you wish...I'm just saying that if the truck didn't come with the rack...it doesn't have the same supports. I never said you couldn't put a rack on...just don't expect it to hold up as well as one that came with it. The interior roof supports are different...I've looked at this before using actual vin numbers. I'm glad it worked for you...probably wouldn't stop me from doing it either. But whenever I sell the roof racks, I let my customers know all the facts up front -- especially if I know there is a difference.

Scott

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,738 Posts
Take my advice as you wish...I'm just saying that if the truck didn't come with the rack...it doesn't have the same supports. I never said you couldn't put a rack on...just don't expect it to hold up as well as one that came with it. The interior roof supports are different...I've looked at this before using actual vin numbers. I'm glad it worked for you...probably wouldn't stop me from doing it either. But whenever I sell the roof racks, I let my customers know all the facts up front -- especially if I know there is a difference.

Scott
I love doing business with vendors like you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had a roof rack put on my SE. I bought the mounting brackets and then had the rack mocked up and drilled through the roof. The brackets are not welded on, mine is purely for aesthetics. I'm nervous to just drive through an automatic car wash let alone put anything up top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Those look very good but I noticed that they only offer the sizes for the Titan . I could be missing something though. They do say that they custom make themso maybe it would not be a problemfor them to buildone for the Frontie. Thanks.

I had a roof rack put on my SE. I bought the mounting brackets and then had the rack mocked up and drilled through the roof. The brackets are not welded on, mine is purely for aesthetics. I'm nervous to just drive through an automatic car wash let alone put anything up top.
Thanksfor the info. I should probably just forget about it. Sounds like it would cost too much to fab and then it would not be very usable.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
i had snow boards and wake boards up there with out an issue. the rack is only rated for 125 lbs and the roof can take that. and if you can find a used rack its not all that bad I think it cost me $500 to do mine and totally changed the look of the truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts