Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of the few things I don't like about the SV, is that the roof rack isn't even an option when you buy it. That being said, i have decided to look into getting some aftermarket. Found a decent looking set on Amazon, with all the mounting hardware included. The one major problem I ran into with it, is in the instructions that were included...

Im not even joking, that is the entirety of the instructions provided.

Overall, its not the end of the world, since I'm pretty good at assembling stuff (thank you legos). Im faced with an option though. It came included with the hardware for using both the mounting brackets that involve removing the headliner to install, and also rivinuts. Does anyone have any information on what the pros and cons are to them? I know theres a difference in the weight capacity from what people say. How much do I lose by using rivinuts if i go in that direction?

On another note, Ive also painted the bars black. I like that look, and it would match my step bars and grille guards better. I put them together with a webbing strap to hold it together to get a look of how they would be. Not a bad mockup.

Blue Product Textile Metal Wood
Automotive exterior Tree Leaf Guard rail Windshield
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire
Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive luggage rack Roof rack Car

Id like to hear some feedback about the mounting options, if anyone has any experience with them. Ive read a few threads on here, and they were very good at convincing me to take the plunge and buy these. I just need a little more info before i start drilling holes into my roof....

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been considering installing a roof rack on my SV too. Not sure it'd meet my
needs though. My main interest would be in hauling long ( 10, 12, 16' ) lumber,
timbers and sheet rock, so I'd have to use it along with some kind of bed rack. I
understand the roof rack is good for about 100-150 lbs? Anyway... I'm still
thinking about it. I've got a bed extender (pic below) for now.

About the Rivinuts... I'd be worried about pull through. The roof sheet metal isn't
all that thick. I'd want some sheet metal washers or something to back up the roof
material, especially if you're expecting to put heavy loads on the rack. Heavy
loads plus the potential dynamics of stopping at 70-80 mph could be a problem.

I know Nissan used Rivinuts to install the "spoiler" on the tailgate. I replaced
my spoiler with a bed cap because I didn't like the way it scraped up when I had
to slide materials across it. I removed the Rivinuts by screwing a bolt into them
and then pulling them off with a pair of Vise grips... not that hard.

Your setup looks good... let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rivnuts are evil little things. I pulled a couple through the roof of my Xterra by accident. I obviously share some responsibility there. They wouldn't loosen and just spun. Several folks on thenewx.org have had some issues. I'm sure a frontier owner or two have as well.

More of a one-way ticket. They're solid enough, though, if installed properly. Yes, the roof is thin.

They are OEM hardware, just please take your time, else you'll be upsizing to a larger diameter of the first round fails.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I don't think I would trust rivnuts,especially on a roof rack.
I use them but not where strength is needed.
Can you remove the headliner and instead of rivnuts, change to bolts, nuts and area washers?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think the focus of the rivnuts is to hold the rack on and in place and that Gravity will do a large portion of holding the load in place. Granted you are going to secure a load to it but unless you are driving through a hurricane, go dirt derby and start jumping hills, flip the truck upside down or on it's side then yeah it might be a bigger issue...

I've contemplated the roof rack my own self but I think if push comes to shove I'll probably just pick up one of the Thule roof rack setups. it's a little pricy but I figure I won't be punching holes in the roof or have to mess around with pulling the headliner, which you are probably going to need to do even if you use the rivnuts, just to make sure you do not punch a hole through the side curtain airbags near the A piller.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I destroyed the Thule brackets on my Dodge. Four cross bars and eight brackets that supported a basket. Never put anything in the basket and it self destructed. This was mounted on the shell.
Of course, the places I took the Dodge were pretty rough.
Have a couple of crossbars on the shell is all now.Don't think I will put anything up there.Don't really have to. Plenty of room in a full size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
I think the focus of the rivnuts is to hold the rack on and in place and that Gravity will do a large portion of holding the load in place. Granted you are going to secure a load to it but unless you are driving through a hurricane, go dirt derby and start jumping hills, flip the truck upside down or on it's side then yeah it might be a bigger issue...

I've contemplated the roof rack my own self but I think if push comes to shove I'll probably just pick up one of the Thule roof rack setups. it's a little pricy but I figure I won't be punching holes in the roof or have to mess around with pulling the headliner, which you are probably going to need to do even if you use the rivnuts, just to make sure you do not punch a hole through the side curtain airbags near the A piller.
The shape of the cargo could provide 'lift'...which would provide even more lift the faster one goes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The shape of the cargo could provide 'lift'...which would provide even more lift the faster one goes.
It just occured to me after looking around a little, one other factor I think may come into affect here is that the idea may be that you are supposed to use both the rivnuts and the backing plate. One is to allow a non slip bolting surface and the other is to reinforce and prevent the rivnuts from pulling out, taking the clamping load of a m4 rivnut to around 27 ft pounds of clamping load per rivnut (installed on a .125 steel thickness) but it's hard to say since the fellows instructions are garbage.

My money is on the process involving using both parts though.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
It just occured to me after looking around a little, one other factor I think may come into affect here is that the idea may be that you are supposed to use both the rivnuts and the backing plate. One is to allow a non slip bolting surface and the other is to reinforce and prevent the rivnuts from pulling out, taking the clamping load of a m4 rivnut to around 27 ft pounds of clamping load per rivnut (installed on a .125 steel thickness) but it's hard to say since the fellows instructions are garbage.

My money is on the process involving using both parts though.
Nope... rivnuts are to do the faster, "quickie" install from the outside, without having to touch the interior and the headliner. If you choose to use the plates instead how the factory does it, you're using a bolt straight through to the plates.

You do not use both rivnut or plate, it's one or the other.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Lots of good feedback here, thanks guys. General consensus seems to be that mounting plates=good. Rivnuts=Evil. Ive heard the same from some guys I know who deal with accessories/mods. I see a common theme, and based on the fact that its worth taking the extra time, I'm gonna go with the mounting plates that were included. It came with both options, and its an either/or. Already talked to two buddies of mine who are mechanically inclined, and they agreed to lend their helping hands. In order to do that, I'll have to take down the headliner, as demonstrated in this thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/how-install-2nd-generation-roof-rack-56407/ This guy made it look easy. It will take a few minutes longer, but I think it will be worth it. Hopefully next weekend will be the build. In any case, i'm always open to hearing suggestions and tips/tricks you guys may have.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So yesterday was the big day. A buddy of mine came over to give me an extra set of hands to use for this job. As a reference, I used this thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/how-install-2nd-generation-roof-rack-56407/

Thanks to Nissan Frontier Forum - View Profile: stepside for posting that, so that the rest of us could benefit from his work. This thread wont be very pic heavy, since I followed his steps pretty much to the letter. If you wanna know what we did, just go look at his thread.

Removing the fittings to take down the headliner.
Vehicle Transport Car Mode of transport Luxury vehicle

I sorted all the parts we removed into ziplock bags to make sure nothing got lost.
Auto part Bicycle part Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

The feet in position over the tape, ready to get marked...
Automotive exterior Roof Automotive carrying rack Roof rack Auto part

This was a very painful moment...
Windshield Automotive window part Gun Glass

Point of no return...
Table Floor Wood Tool accessory Table saw

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Final Product

The finished product! We finished late last night, so I waited to get to work so I could take a pic in the daytime.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

Lessons learned:

The first set of holes we drilled left a bit of metal shavings blowing around. With the 3 subsequent feet, my friend held a shop vac to suck it all up and avoid the mess. In hindsight, I should have made the interior look like a kill room from Dexter. There were metal shavings all over the rear seat that I had to vacuum up. It was so dark last night, I didn't get it all.

Be patient, and measure several times before you drill. We didn't have any major issues, just one or two times one of the 4 holes didn't line up perfectly, and we had to expand it a bit.

Only change I'm gonna make is one that I found out about at the end. My friend tells me about a different sealant that he used to use when he worked on busses. Its black, so it will blend in better, and it seals very nicely. I'm gonna be using that in the top of the holes where the bolts are to replace the clear silicone we used.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Nice job.

Did you clean up the drilled holes and sealed them with some paint before installing the rack?

Make sure you get all those metal shavings off the seats, those things are evil - especially if there's butts involved.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice job.

Did you clean up the drilled holes and sealed them with some paint before installing the rack?

Make sure you get all those metal shavings off the seats, those things are evil - especially if there's butts involved.
Clean yes, sealed with paint no... Lots of silicone pushed through that hole though, should do the same I'd hope.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I can't imagine ever carrying anything on my roof, but I like the look
I just don't want to rick a screw up..lol
just got my truck 2 days ago, but possibly a year or two from now
either way it looks GREAT, good job

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for posting the ins and outs on your roof rack. I'm considering adding one but I need to be able to carry a kayak on mine. Would you think this type of rack would hold a small one person kayak once you were done with the install? IE: did it feel really solid? I see they can generally hold up to 150lbs or so (not that I'd want to test that theory) but I'm mostly concerned about the wind lift caused by the kayak tearing at the rack and the roof!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for posting the ins and outs on your roof rack. I'm considering adding one but I need to be able to carry a kayak on mine. Would you think this type of rack would hold a small one person kayak once you were done with the install? IE: did it feel really solid? I see they can generally hold up to 150lbs or so (not that I'd want to test that theory) but I'm mostly concerned about the wind lift caused by the kayak tearing at the rack and the roof!
It feels pretty solid. It should be able to hold up the weight just fine. As far as lift, not sure. I do know that the crossbeams are shaped like airplane wings upside down. So they would not create lift. I guess it depends on the kayak you get. This is usually installed with a mounting plate under the roof, over the headliner, so its not pulling on any one point if it does create lift. To be honest though, if this was a common problem, I don't think many people would do it. I guess you could look around the forum and search for "kayak" to see if any threads containing pics of people carrying them come up. Maybe ask them if they've had any issues, or if they have any advice.

Good job! Looks like it came from factory.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts