Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am getting impatient waiting to see Xoskel/Fangars custom rack to replace the stock one.. So i have been looking into making my own. i dont need it to carry heavy load, jsut an extra spot for more gear/gas/tools etc

I saw this the other day on The NewX Xterra forum

The Yakima basket i see on Amazon for 80 bux with free shipping. The metal support bars I can get cheap at my shop and the muffler brackets are Napa parts and a few bux each..

anyone else have any pics/ideas I am not tryin to spend $300+ bux on some custom stuff haha

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
silversuper (not on here any more) used an ATV box mounted to mighty mounts on his roof for straps and stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You get something figured out on that let me know. I'm dying to have a functional roof mounted "something"!!

·
Banned
553 Posts
Roof rack Opts

You get something figured out on that let me know. I'm dying to have a functional roof mounted "something"!!
I use "Mine" like every day! depends though....I use my rig for work purposes
a lot like as a ladder,dumpster, a shelter:wtf::stupid::woot::schla24::awesome:

·
Registered
214 Posts
The one in the pict is the Yakima Load Warrior, it's nice because it has alot of areas on it to mount it to the cross bars, it's light but sturdy and they make a cargo net that clips on to it from Yakima. Down side is it is coated with this rubber stuff that tends to get a gummy build up on it from being outdoors and in the sun and the coating near the edges of the wires is kind of thin and tends to start rusting.

Yakima also makes another basket called the Load Warrior made of thin wall round steel tube. Good points is it's expandable, the two sections bolt togeather so you can have a small basket or add another middle section of basket to the two to expand it. And they have attachments for it to carry shovels, axes, jacks, lights, Yakima cargo net and wind deflector. Down side is it is bolted togeather and the coating on it isn't very durable, I would guess textured paint or cheap powdercoating. Every one of these racks I have seen is covered in rust spots from the inside and outside. Also the welds are not complete or sealed so it also rusts between the tubes or after long exposure to vibration the welds can tear out of the tubes.

I own both of the above racks, and after doing so and seeing thier faults and weaknesses I went custom aluminum basket with powdercoat. I still use the Basket Case as just a daily basket on top of my shell all the time and when it finally rusts to death I'll toss it. The Load Warrior I am having sand blasted, going to redo the welds and then have it powdercoated as a back up or secondary basket for things bigger than my Basket Case or smaller than my custom one.

Want to go ultra cheap style check out some of the wire shelving they sell at Home Depot or Lowes... sounds ghetto but I have taken 3 shelves and cut them apart and rewelded them to make someone a roof basket. Guy had the chrome sand blasted off and the whole thing bedline'd afterwards and to my knowledege he still using it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The one in the pict is the Yakima Load Warrior, it's nice because it has alot of areas on it to mount it to the cross bars, it's light but sturdy and they make a cargo net that clips on to it from Yakima. Down side is it is coated with this rubber stuff that tends to get a gummy build up on it from being outdoors and in the sun and the coating near the edges of the wires is kind of thin and tends to start rusting.

Yakima also makes another basket called the Load Warrior made of thin wall round steel tube. Good points is it's expandable, the two sections bolt togeather so you can have a small basket or add another middle section of basket to the two to expand it. And they have attachments for it to carry shovels, axes, jacks, lights, Yakima cargo net and wind deflector. Down side is it is bolted togeather and the coating on it isn't very durable, I would guess textured paint or cheap powdercoating. Every one of these racks I have seen is covered in rust spots from the inside and outside. Also the welds are not complete or sealed so it also rusts between the tubes or after long exposure to vibration the welds can tear out of the tubes.

I own both of the above racks, and after doing so and seeing thier faults and weaknesses I went custom aluminum basket with powdercoat. I still use the Basket Case as just a daily basket on top of my shell all the time and when it finally rusts to death I'll toss it. The Load Warrior I am having sand blasted, going to redo the welds and then have it powdercoated as a back up or secondary basket for things bigger than my Basket Case or smaller than my custom one.
I've got the Yakima load warrior and its come in handy on trips and even when helping a couple friends move. I bought it off a friend who had it sitting in his back yard so it did have a tiny bit of rust on it but I just went to Home Deeps and got me a can of that Rusoleum or whatever its called and sprayed the basket and its held up nice. I would deff recommend if you want a huge basket to just get the mega warrior from the get go because the stupid extender alone is 100 bucks! The one and only thing I dont like is since the rear cross bar on the factory rack doesnt move is the basket kinda hangs over/off the back of the roof. Wish I could center it on the roof a little more but its not that big a deal.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just saw a "Rola" cargo basket... looked real nice - guy said he got it at Costco for 183.00 - a while ago tho..
ROLA Website - 59504
Look alot like the load warrior

·
Registered
851 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts