Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There seemed to have been an interest in the past for factory roof rack led light bar mounts for our 2nd Gens.

I didn't want to drill into the pillars and didn't care for the selection of options available for our trucks - sooooo after several calls to local shops, I found a Waterjet cutting service who referred me to a local metal fabricator.

After the past several weeks and multiple visits, we've come up with the 1st prototype which I picked up this afternoon to test the fit. I opted for the light bar to sit below the roof rack line(mostly due to garage clearance) and we added three holes for height adjustment. The middle holes had some mild wind noise with the sunroof open but just enough to flow under without whistling. I went up to 75 mph and it worked out great.

Material: 3/16" aluminum
Screws: M6x1.00x40 or 45mm Button Head Torx SS screws/SS washers
Light Bar: Rigid 40" Radiance Bar(Single Row)-threads are 1/4-20

Next up is dropping off to get the next version scanned since we've got the angles down then will waterjet a design to go on the sides of the bracket - had seen some with various sized holes....I'm going with an 'X" to match up with my 4X. Then off to powder coating and wiring taken care of.

If folks become interested, I'll see about working something out(costs, etc) and will update this post(about two or so weeks out) with that info.

Attachments

Reactions: GarySAR

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update - have two prototypes done at this point. Now just waiting on an aesthetic cut-out on the sides of the bracket for the final version.

If anyone interested in ordering these brackets I can either put in a small order to have these made or put you in touch with the fabricator directly (send me a PM). I'd figure you can customize your 4X, SL and upcoming SV models that have the factory roof racks to mount a flat 40" light bar. I flipped the brackets and looks like would work for a smaller light bar on the inside - I'll see about taking some measurements for both options and will update this post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
One of the cleanest brackets I've seen yet. Very nice work!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks great! What kind of pricing? I'm interested!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great! What kind of pricing? I'm interested!
Thanks - been at it for about 6 weeks. Still working on pricing - for these two prototypes have about $250 into them thus far (the price for custom work). Most of the cost is in the labor because the fabricator has to roll the bottom aluminum brackets on his rolling machine then the top bracket is cut, angled then welded. Also, this isn't a big money maker for these two, as they mostly do commercial orders . Any rate, I'm pretty pleased with them so far. I'll try to see if we can keep it close to $120ish bare metal and then folks can have it painted themselves.

I should have a final product hoping by mid-August, but the fabricator is out next week for surgery so we'll see. I may just order 3 or 4 pairs then sell those off (if CF rules allow) and then any future orders I can list their contact info in this thread too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks - been at it for about 6 weeks. Still working on pricing - for these two prototypes have about $250 into them thus far (the price for custom work). Most of the cost is in the labor because the fabricator has to roll the bottom aluminum brackets on his rolling machine then the top bracket is cut, angled then welded. Also, this isn't a big money maker for these two, as they mostly do commercial orders . Any rate, I'm pretty pleased with them so far. I'll try to see if we can keep it close to $120ish bare metal and then folks can have it painted themselves.

I should have a final product hoping by mid-August, but the fabricator is out next week for surgery so we'll see. I may just order 3 or 4 pairs then sell those off (if CF rules allow) and then any future orders I can list their contact info in this thread too.
i have some interest on this. How are you running your wire?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have some interest on this. How are you running your wire?
I'm drilling a small hole under the front left foot pad using a step drill bit, then sealing up (have some add-ons to ensure it will be watertight). Then will run along the roof line down the driver pillar to access the firewall. My switch is located on the Bluetooth plastic insert on the light console.

I've seen some folks use the factory XM Satellite dome to tap into, which I may consider once I open everything up this week - should have a temp set up by Saturday until the final brackets are made (probably several weeks out).

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Installed the second proto bracket yesterday to test for a few weeks. Followed geekmyride's antenna wiring install for drilling the hole in the roof. I also added a high heat rubber gasket under the led bracket for some extra cushioning and water resistance.

My electronics installer finished up my wiring today - I probably could have gone with a side entry point for the wiring into the foot pad or even on the front of it, but liked the idea about having a drip loop underneath. I also went with waterproof Deutsch Connectors for a quick disconnect and selected this Rocker Switch instead of the two supplied from Rigid.

Snapped a few shots - probably a few weeks out for my final bracket and will swap these out. Pretty pleased so far and nice light output.

Attachments

Reactions: Totsky

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looks nice...good work. What light is that? Have any more pics of the wiring and switch?
Thanks! The light bar is a Rigid Industries Radiance 40" - This bar is more of a Spot type but also has a backlight display in various colors (I went with amber).

The wiring I followed Geekmyride's mini instructions(link in my last post above). No pics, but pretty much followed the same using a grommet and silicone and drilling a hole in the bottom upper half of the footpad. I ran the three wires (used a drill to twist them) down the pillar - my electronics installer finished it up today.

I updated my switches a few months back to OTRATTW 6 gang panel - had to gut the bracket behind the Bluetooth mic to get it to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Possibly interested. Is there any interferance with the XM antenna?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Count me in for a set of the brackets if they are in the ballpark of your cost estimate. I am also interested in the XM interference issue.

I put the power wire in for the light bar when I did the antenna install, so this will be great. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Possibly interested. Is there any interferance with the XM antenna?
I am also interested in the XM interference issue.
Not sure I can fully assure not having interference issues due to relocating mine just to the right of the left front footpad. I tried last night and it worked perfectly though I rarely use XM anymore (use Ipod Touch).

Update: still pending an update from the vendors on cost. It will most likely look like the 1st proto with two mounting holes vs. three and without any aesthetics (top bracket cut) to keep the cost down.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
That's fine... I have no problem moving antennas around if need be... Let me know when you have a final price for them.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update - had some delays. Fabricator was out due to surgery and water jet service machine has been broken for a few weeks.

I was able to get two brackets made but the bend was off. I took a rubber mallet and pounded them to match my 2nd proto. Other than the bend issue, I think they came out great. The fabricator may go with a smaller sized aluminum lower bracket to be able to bend easier.

I'm thinking folks should supply their own hardware - the M6 torx is a common T30 bit anyone can pick up at a hardware store. I'm looking at something more proprietary to make a bit more secure. The spanner nuts from Rigid I probably could remove via a pair of pliers.

Pricing list below:
$150 black powder coated+$10 shipping continental US (high temp rubber gasket).
$125+$10 shipped no powdercoating (high temp rubber gasket).

I've updated a list of folks that have expressed an interest and have the one pair pictured up for sale. I'll snap some pics with them mounted later this evening - I moved mine to the lower mounting hole and had no whistling driving to Orlando this past weekend to a 4X4 parts sponsored Jeep and 4x4 expo (it was ok).

PM me if still interested as I'll be putting in a small order for 5 more.

1. 9ballrook
2. Arthur_C (possibly)
3. farmdog
4. sammin
5. NYCe_Frontier (possibly)
6. geekmyride

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks good, guess I better find which light bar to use!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts