Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The crack is because steel expands and contracts a lot more than body putty. Which is why body putty is problematic in places where the temperatures swing from cold to hot and back.

Best bet is to apply a good durable wax like Collonite so that moisture does not get in the crack, soak into the putty and down to the metal.
Good looking on that!

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Midnight Edition 4x4
225 Posts
I am now the proud owner of a new Frontier 2022 SV. However, I have a concern about the roof. On each side, the main hollow is badly formed. Has anyone else noticed this flaw?
And I really don't know what to do, any suggestions?
Given that the previous years look the same I really don't think this is a "flaw/defect" and just part of the manufacturing process. I would say just accept it as it is and move on. Enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Remember how Toyota had to warranty the entire frame on the Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia from 04-08 or something like that? That seems like a bigger issue than some roof sealer. Just saying :)
That falls into another category. Similar to the ATI failing on the earlier pathfinder/frontiers causing catastrophic failure on the transmission/Radiator. And to this day, The NHTSA never recalled it. Allot of folks got burned. And it happened with only 54K miles on my pathfinder. But that was not a QC issue on assembly. In Toyota's case they were at least made to make allot of owners whole with frame replacements. Nissan had a lame warranty extension with deductibles that did not make anybody whole for their mistake. Except for me because i fought the oem in Tennessee with going the BBB route instead of calling their worthless consumers affairs. Otherwise I would have never bought the brand again. But they did make me whole thank goodness. But people are saying dashes are rattling because of loose screws and other small issues that I would consider QC issues that can be avoided. But that roof just does not look good. Its not acceptable IMO. I've never seen anything look like that on any other Nissan I've owned. Just seems they cut allot of corners for the asking price. Still can't believe they took out the power seat controls on passenger side and no tilt option. And like others say the back up cam is ridiculous at this price point. I mean these areas probably saved them a few hundred at best. The roof may be functional enough but it looks like ***.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just went up on my 19 P4X and it looks better then that. As a previous poster said, they cheaped out and no longer use seam filler. Mine has some dirt there from the red rock I was carrying.
This is what its supposed to look like. Note the area between the black trim and the curved sealer. The area between should be smooth like this and not show overlapped steel and a spotweld.

That said, while the assembly quality on the OP's roof looks unfinished, no harm will occur and nobody will notice unless they step up on the truck bed to examine the roof.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is what its supposed to look like. Note the area between the black trim and the curved sealer. The area between should be smooth like this and not show overlapped steel and a spotweld.

That said, while the assembly quality on the OP's roof looks unfinished, no harm will occur and nobody will notice unless they step up on the truck bed to examine the roof.
Don't know. Looks like rust could develop in that crack. Years back I had a 85 VW that had a ugly spot weld on top and it eventually started to rust in that area. Makes me wonder if NIssan will correct this later on?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Don't know. Looks like rust could develop in that crack. Years back I had a 85 VW that had a ugly spot weld on top and it eventually started to rust in that area. Makes me wonder if NIssan will correct this later on?
A heavy coat of a sturdy car wax in that area will give peace of mind. As well, the visible spotweld and lap joint on the OPs truck is pretty neat, tidy and well done. Around here the worst vehicles for rust are Fords and VWs. Except Mustangs. And now F-150s, thanks to aluninum.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,214 Posts
And actually, Toyota had tons of radiator failures on the Tacoma, tundra, 4runner, and t100 that burned up transmissions left and right. Check the Toyota forums before buying a rwd Toyota, for sure. Strawberry milkshake of death is a term I know before ever thinking of buying a frontier and I learned it from the Toyota guys

·
Premium Member
2022 SV CC 4X4, Glacier White
146 Posts
Remember how Toyota had to warranty the entire frame on the Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia from 04-08 or something like that? That seems like a bigger issue than some roof sealer. Just saying :)
Yep and if the Yota dealer didn't see any severerust issues.....they'd freaking apply rubber based undercoat it! How stupid is that! If you happened to to the undercoat "fix" and if your truck developed some serious rust compromise.....no luck. There were some members on the Tundras forum that were able to still get a frame replacement only if the bs "fix" wasn't done.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A rubber based undercoat would only make it worse. Good to know. Good to avoid.

·
Premium Member
2022 SV CC 4X4, Glacier White
146 Posts
And actually, Toyota had tons of radiator failures on the Tacoma, tundra, 4runner, and t100 that burned up transmissions left and right. Check the Toyota forums before buying a rwd Toyota, for sure. Strawberry milkshake of death is a term I know before ever thinking of buying a frontier and I learned it from the Toyota guys
Links please? I was and still am on Tundras.com. "Black Wolf". Go ahead and check it out. I still have a lot to contribute there after 7+ years on the forum. I personally know three of the moderators and the Administrator. Three of the moderators live here in Colorado. My friends actually. No offense but there were never any radiator failures ever mentioned on the forum. None. Transmissions burned up. LOL. I'm a noob here, especially when it comes to Frontiers. This great Frontier forum has so many similarities. The questions asked are the same. Everyone wants to know best lift, best tires, will my tires fit?, should I get a CAI, hockey puck lift vs coilovers? Dobinson's, OME, Fox, King..I can go on. I have over 35,000 posts on Tundras.com. I have over 45 years of off roading and building various 4X4's over the years. This was truly a big leap for me. I really like this new Frontier...but please...post links and not anecdotal hearsay that's not worth a hill of beans. Especially as bad what you claim. We wouldn't tolerate other brand trashing without substantiated links. I'm sure that's respected and expected here by the mods. my...2....cents

·
Registered
Great truck
1,214 Posts
i will have to go look for that stuff again. that's what kept me from buying a Toyota was all the talk about the radiators leaking in the transmission cooler area and burning up the transmissions. i had my eye on a t100 and a 4 runner but both were automatics. i really wanted a stick but they are kind of hard to find on the t100s. i liked the full size bed and able to get a 4 cylinder/ 5 speed drivetrain.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So, you have a couple options. One is to take it to the dealer and see what they say. Maybe they will fix it up nicely. Maybe they will say they are all like that.

Or you can just live with it and keep an eye on it and wax it often so you will never need to worry about rust there.

But, don't let it interfere with enjoying your new truck.

The painted body putty coated channel is normal. Its like a gutter or a ditch - it is designed for the rain to flow along. It is not meant to have plastic trim on it.

What is unusual to me is that there should be a little putty in the back of the channel just before the black plastic to smooth out where the sides meet the roof panel - and there is a seam and welding. A little putty should have been spread to cover that spot weld and seam on the drivers side and the seam on the passenger side.

The photo Trent posted - white truck - is what it should look like. Mine is like his there, only in black and from 2013.

Its a beautiful truck in a gorgeous colour. It looks like the paint was well applied.

Hi everyone,
I am now the proud owner of a new Frontier 2022 SV. However, I have a concern about the roof. On each side, the main hollow is badly formed. Has anyone else noticed this flaw?
And I really don't know what to do, any suggestions?

View attachment 337298 View attachment 337299 View attachment 337300 View attachment 337301

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dammit man. I wonder if that was a mistake or if it’s just a “nobody’ll look at their roof so who cares” type thing. Sure doesn’t look right.

Edit: Both of mine look just like this. Guess I’ve never looked either. 😏
Mine are the same, looks like it was formed that on purpose

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dammit man. I wonder if that was a mistake or if it’s just a “nobody’ll look at their roof so who cares” type thing. Sure doesn’t look right.

Edit: Both of mine look just like this. Guess I’ve never looked either. 😏
Son's 2015 and my 2020 look like this too. Not a flaw, just a quirk.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV, Crew Cab, 4x4, Sport option
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll go as soon as I can to the dealer and see how he'll manage it.

@VilainF I think based on comments the horse is dead, as we continue to beat it...what is your plan?

Dealer/Nissan willing to fix under warranty?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That falls into another category. Similar to the ATI failing on the earlier pathfinder/frontiers causing catastrophic failure on the transmission/Radiator. And to this day, The NHTSA never recalled it. Allot of folks got burned. And it happened with only 54K miles on my pathfinder. But that was not a QC issue on assembly. In Toyota's case they were at least made to make allot of owners whole with frame replacements. Nissan had a lame warranty extension with deductibles that did not make anybody whole for their mistake. Except for me because i fought the oem in Tennessee with going the BBB route instead of calling their worthless consumers affairs. Otherwise I would have never bought the brand again. But they did make me whole thank goodness. But people are saying dashes are rattling because of loose screws and other small issues that I would consider QC issues that can be avoided. But that roof just does not look good. Its not acceptable IMO. I've never seen anything look like that on any other Nissan I've owned. Just seems they cut allot of corners for the asking price. Still can't believe they took out the power seat controls on passenger side and no tilt option. And like others say the back up cam is ridiculous at this price point. I mean these areas probably saved them a few hundred at best. The roof may be functional enough but it looks like ***.

No manufacture makes a perfect vehicle. Toyota has some very bad quality issues as well. I worked as a tech for Toyota before I retired. Some of the thing I saw on the Tacoma were 3rd brake light leaking water into cab, engine coolant bypass made of plastic and leaking, timing cover oil leak, poorly shifting 6 speed auto transmission, alignment issues with rear bumper, blind spot sensor wiring failures from water intrusion, 4WD front actuator failures. These are just some of the issues I saw as a tech. I use to own a 2020 Tundra that I bought after I retired. After 6 months of them not being able to figure out a noise when in 4WD I ended up selling the truck back to the dealer. After many calls to Toyota customer care with the problem not being resolve and nothing on their end about extending my warranty I just gave up on the truck.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts