Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV, Crew Cab, 4x4, Sport option
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I am now the proud owner of a new Frontier 2022 SV. However, I have a concern about the roof. On each side, the main hollow is badly formed. Has anyone else noticed this flaw?
And I really don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Update :
I went to the dealership today to show him the roof of the truck. He was surprised.
In his yard there were two other Frontiers (S, Pro-4x) and they too had the same problem. So I think I'll have to get used to this "imperfection". Thanks again for your information.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire
Water Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle
Water Tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
202 Posts
Dammit man. I wonder if that was a mistake or if it’s just a “nobody’ll look at their roof so who cares” type thing. Sure doesn’t look right.

Edit: Both of mine look just like this. Guess I’ve never looked either. 😏

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
379 Posts
My 20's roof looks exactly like that- its normal. They just flow some sealer into the grove and paint over it. This is one of the areas they didn't upgrade. I think they should have the black trim at the back extend along the entire track the way Toyota does on the Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
2022 SV CC 4X4, Glacier White
164 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am now the proud owner of a new Frontier 2022 SV. However, I have a concern about the roof. On each side, the main hollow is badly formed. Has anyone else noticed this flaw?

View attachment 337298 View attachment 337299 View attachment 337300 View attachment 337301
M
My 20's roof looks exactly like that- its normal. They just flow some sealer into the grove and paint over it. This is one of the areas they didn't upgrade. I think they should have the black trim at the back extend along the entire track the way Toyota does on the Tacoma.
Mine is the same. My Taco and Tundra both had the cab length rubber trim. They have a habit of blowing off. I recently had to replace the passenger side rubber trim on my Tundra. $80.......

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Go ask about it if it bothers you. Mine is the same way. Good observation, but it probably is designed that way.

Reactions: VilainF

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I know on my 2016 where that 'track' runs down the truck, there is a crack in the paint on both sides of that... clearly showing they don't paint many coats or thorough job....

Reactions: Gdubz

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi everyone,

View attachment 337298 View attachment 337299 View attachment 337300 View attachment 337301
No way that is right. There is too many
Hi everyone,

I'm seeing too many QC issues reports on this site but this is the worst. No that's not right. Looks like they are just cramming **** through down at the Canton plant. This here is a red flag. Looks like a robotic out of alignment. This sort of stuff is rare with toyota's. This is concerning.

·
Registered
512 Posts
To me it looks like they ran out of seam filler at that spot you point out. I think I can see the spot welds.

• Sad
Reactions: VilainF

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
202 Posts

I'm seeing too many QC issues reports on this site but this is the worst. No that's not right. Looks like they are just cramming **** through down at the Canton plant. This here is a red flag. Looks like a robotic out of alignment. This sort of stuff is rare with toyota's. This is concerning.
Both my ‘21 & my ‘18 look the same way. I thought the same thing when I saw the OP’s pics, but then I crawled my fat a$$ up there & looked at mine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If the dealer won't do anything on warranty, you can get rubber trim to fill that sill and finish it off.

Wrong width but something like this:

My kids Focus had dry rotted sill trim, peeled it off and replaced with stuff like this. Cheap fix.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Both my ‘21 & my ‘18 look the same way. I thought the same thing when I saw the OP’s pics, but then I crawled my fat a$$ up there & looked at mine.
[/QUOT
Just went up on my 19 P4X and it looks better then that. As a previous poster said, they cheaped out and no longer use seam filler. Mine has some dirt there from the red rock I was carrying.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I looked closer on mine. The sealer runs about 4" from the rear. Narrow. Probably runs all the way to the front. Obviously applied first. At least on mine. The front sealer then runs evenly from the front to rear slightly overlapping the rear seal that was applied first. No concern here. Doesn't mean that there aren't potential QA issues. No way I'd put rubber trim over that seal. Had too many issues with my Yota OEM rubber trims especially made to "fit" and still end up detaching and fly off or start flippingin the wind, but that's just me....

·
Registered
512 Posts
On my 2013 S the sealer is a smooth continuous track from front to rear. No visible lapped steel, no visible spot weld. No sealer on top of sealer. But then, mine is a KC so there is some 14 or so less inches of roof to run sealer over than on a CC.

Perhaps they are now using a quicker drying sealer? But on the OPs truck, it looks to me like they forgot to finish the job.

Id be taking it up with the dealer. I’d play nice if they were a msrp dealer. If they were a Jack up the price dealer I’d be hounding them.

Reactions: White Wolf

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I can attest that my Taco and both Tundra's had no visible cab sealer applied at all in the channels, just the rubber trims in the channels. The rubber trims would be removed to attach a roof rack in the channels. It's quite possible that Nissan uses that sealant for extra protection......maybe? Food for thought.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
I know on my 2016 where that 'track' runs down the truck, there is a crack in the paint on both sides of that... clearly showing they don't paint many coats or thorough job....
The crack is because steel expands and contracts a lot more than body putty. Which is why body putty is problematic in places where the temperatures swing from cold to hot and back.

Best bet is to apply a good durable wax like Collonite so that moisture does not get in the crack, soak into the putty and down to the metal.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I can attest that my Taco and both Tundra's had no visible cab sealer applied at all, just the rubber trims in the channels. The rubber trims would be removed to attach a roof rack in the channels. It's quite possible that Nissan uses that sealant for extra protection......maybe? Food for thought.....
My late Vibe - a Toyota product - had that with trim over it. Held up perfectly over 14 years of road salt and heat and cold.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I can attest that my Taco and both Tundra's had no visible cab sealer applied at all, just the rubber trims in the channels. The rubber trims would be removed to attach a roof rack in the channels. It's quite possible that Nissan uses that sealant for extra protection......maybe? Food for thought.....
I looked closer on mine. The sealer runs about 4" from the rear. Thin. Probably runs all the way to the front. Obviously applied first. At least on mine. The front sealer then runs evenly from the front to rear slightly overlapping the rear seal that was applied. No concern here. Doesn't mean that there aren't potential QA issues. No way I'd put rubber trim over that seal. Had too many issues with my Yota OEM rubber trims especially made to "fit" and still end up detaching and fly off or start flippingin the wind, but that's just me....
My late Vibe - a Toyota product - had that with trim over it. Held up perfectly over 14 years of road salt and heat and cold.
What sucked with the Yota trim was that it was only held taught near the front and rear by two plastic clips and pressed into the channel. If either clip failed the freaking trim would fly off! I can see that using rubber trim with adhesive would be a huge improvement (y)

·
Registered
204 Posts

Remember how Toyota had to warranty the entire frame on the Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia from 04-08 or something like that? That seems like a bigger issue than some roof sealer. Just saying :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts