Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy:

Making the obligatory "howdy" post. Been lurking and searching for some while and have benefited from y'all's experience. Like with a house, a truck is always in need of _something_ to repair or improve. My Frontier is the one in my avatar image: 2013 2WD crew cab, now with a work/camper shell.

Owned a 1997 Nissan king cab 2WD pickup new through 2011. Loved it, but a nice old lady decided that 185k mostly trouble-free miles on the odo was enough and I ought to get another ride by way of her totaling my Nissan with her Buick. Then made the biggest automotive blunder of my life and bought a 2005 BMW X5. Beautiful. Drove wonderfully. But a constant maintenance nightmare as everything and anything would break on it. Traded that horror show in on my current 2013 Frontier(1) with minimal accouterments and and happy 85k miles later.

My only gripe is the front suspension. My 1997 had a sweet torsion bar setup, while the 2013 has a strut/coil-over monstrosity. Hate that setup in every auto I have encountered it. Give me back my torsion bars and simple shocks. I hate having to either pay a bunch more for the entire assembly or break out the spring compressors (which give me the willies) to get at the cartridge/shock.

Best mod so far is a used commercial camper shell/bed topper. New, they are super pricey, but good deals come to those who wait. Have changed out brake pads and disks a couple times and just changed out the rear shocks and complete front struts with new. Replaced the rear tires with Treadwright mudgrips when my kids decided they wanted to go hunting more and I needed grip in the slop. Next up will likely be Hellwig EZ-1000 load leveling/helper springs. My leafs are OK, but I want a smidge more height and moreover want to keep it level when hooked up to my utility trailer. I see no Hellwig EZ-1000 DIY posts, so I when I install them, I'll post with text and images to show how to make it happen for the curious.

That's about it.

(1) In JAN2014--I keep vehicles a long while, so a new last year's model is no whoop to me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I bought my 16 in march of this year. Not worried about depreciation. Got a good deal and plan on keeping this one a long time as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Same here, as in no worries on depreciation. I had a 05 Titan and now a 17 Frontier. So a good ten years is to be expected LOL. But I am interested in the Hellwig EZ-1000 post. I tow a bass boat. Love the normal ride height. But mite need so help to level while towing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Same here, as in no worries on depreciation. I had a 05 Titan and now a 17 Frontier. So a good ten years is to be expected LOL. But I am interested in the Hellwig EZ-1000 post. I tow a bass boat. Love the normal ride height. But mite need so help to level while towing.

Never noticed these before. Nice upgrade compared to airbags imho. Unfortunately I want some lift too so I would want to go with the Alcan leaf packs, but they are double the price

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a good ten years is to be expected LOL. But I am interested in the Hellwig EZ-1000 post. I tow a bass boat. Love the normal ride height. But mite need so help to level while towing.
I have the Hellwig EZ-1000's on order. Will not be able to install them this coming weekend, as I will be hunting with my kiddos. Maybe week after that. My son loves mechanical stuff and between the two of us, I bet we can get images and provide text that will help other 2005+ Frontier owners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts