Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since 08/2017 my truck hasn't had a rear bumper. The price either isn't right for what the product offers, or I'm just picky. It's been a slow ongoing build when it's not 110 outside. But here is what it the before tack weld stage looks like. Please comment. I haven't welded the brackets or plates to finish it. I'm still fitting. However I need ideas for recovery points. Chain link isn't the look I'm going for.
IMG_20190829_144805347_HDR~01.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since 08/2017 my truck hasn't had a rear bumper. The price either isn't right for what the product offers, or I'm just picky. It's been a slow ongoing build when it's not 110 outside. But here is what it the before tack weld stage looks like. Please comment.
Have a pic?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
many years ago i was making a heavy duty rear bumper. and an old truck guy warren ed me. if the bumper is TO HD and you get rear ended it will bend the frame. so make it where the bumper is weaker than the truck frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
many years ago i was making a heavy duty rear bumper. and an old truck guy warren ed me. if the bumper is TO HD and you get rear ended it will bend the frame. so make it where the bumper is weaker than the truck frame.
The bumper/roll pan is half the thickness the OEM brackets are. Frame is already tweaked from the collision. It's within industry specs. Which is about 3 mils.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well iam not up on thickness needed. but looks like you are headed in the right direction. the idea is to sacrifice the cheap easy to replace parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well iam not up on thickness needed. but looks like you are headed in the right direction. the idea is to sacrifice the cheap easy to replace parts.
Functionality and fit are my biggest concerns. Just don't know what to do for the recovery part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
jjok559
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing