Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heya-
Took a drive today, 500 miles round trip. Took the truck over 4 passes and more ice/snow than you want to know. The VQ40 + CAI volant loves the 12k+ passes, just roars over them. I went past the headwaters of the Arkansas river and then the Rio Grande river, each originate in Colorado. avg about 19+ mpg going 70 - 85 mph. In person, my lame camera + lack of knowledge of a camera kills these shots. I was wishing the whole time I had somebody with me that knew what they were doing. I wanted to go up wolf creek pass, but it was late and would be too dark. These mtns get about 40 feet of snow a year, not uncommon to get 5 feet a week. there is nowhere like CO!
12,000 ish feet is tree line in Colorado. Tree line is the point where trees can no longer grow due to lack of oxygen.

Mt. Harvard (park of the collegiate range) - 14k+ feet. Look at the base to appreciate the height of that mtn.

Incredible in person

2 Sangre De Cristo shots. (incredible mountain range, snow never melts.

Sand Dunes near the Sangre De Cristo's. I don't think anywhere else on earth this exists.

Looks like something from the Dakar race imo.

No beef and others, you can't wheel your machine up there! Horses and hiking only.

Pic of the truck in the parking lot

You know it gets cold, look at this deer's coat. I took it on low resolution so they would upload easier, so his fur is all pixel'd out and looks fake, but I swear, thats a real deer I got quick shot of.

Came down over a pass, and went through the clouds. I love the OEM fogs, but want yellow bulbs. I'd like Pularg..

Fail pic lol, I tried. Crap camera + lenses. Those mtns are huge!

Cheater of the Mtns from the air. No games. Outside of places in BC and AK, no comparison on this continent to anything around here.

·
Registered
194 Posts
nice pics. especially of the deer and one from the air.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No Thrillcrafting!!!!??????

LOL, sweet pictures...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
sounds like an awesome trip...i could post some pictures of the things i see, but who wants to see a dog eating a dead donkey on the side of the road in iraq or yet another ied?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You're namesake (ha-ha), Glacier National Park or Beartooths in MT are nothing to sneeze at!
I bet you had good trip, think I've been over part of your route, lots of roadside warnings for people with heart or respiratory problems - pics are great.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Awesome pics and great story. Look so much different than flat Florida.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Oh how I want to go play in the snow. Parents called me yesterday (from Hickory, NC) - snow had been falling for a few hours. There's 8-10" there this morning.

Nice shots Glacier. If Aaron and I ever make it up to CO (which I really want to do) you'll have to show us around and I'm no pro but I'll give you some camera 101.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Always go to the coolestest place

·
Registered
615 Posts
My friend lives by Vail, been there many times. Pictures do these mountains no justice. They are simply amazing!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're namesake (ha-ha), Glacier National Park or Beartooths in MT are nothing to sneeze at!
I did forget to mention the Beartooths and Glacier, went to the University of MT, been to both of those, amazing mtns too!

Nice shots Glacier. If Aaron and I ever make it up to CO (which I really want to do) you'll have to show us around and I'm no pro but I'll give you some camera 101.
Come one up! Some of those pic's are about 80 miles North of New Mexico above Taos. One of the best drives is from Durango, CO over Wolf Creek Pass to the san luis valley. You wouldn't really need to hit Denver unless you wanted. Durango is probably about 500 miles from PHX. That is the headwaters of the Rio Grande River, and more wheeling trails than you could hit in a few weeks. Your truck would rock those gnarly, vicious, evil trails that would swallow my truck atm. Right now they are snowmobiles only. I took my quad on them last summer, quad is locked up, and it was not easy lol. That area is referred to as the Alps of the west.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
No beef and others, you can't wheel your machine up there! Horses and hiking only.
hahahaha, you knew i was going to ask!

its not a truck, its an iron horse- with a drinkin problem!

great pics, looks like fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts