Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. Im generally satisfied with the sound quality of the sound from the RF system in my 2010 Frontier, but starting this morning, the sub started sounded like it was blown.. At any volume and any source, any low bass makes the sub rattle quite loudly.. Upon further examination I found if I wedged my fingers under the plastic housing the sub, the rattling seems to stop -- so I think it may be an issue with mounting somewhere - either the speakers in the enclosure or the enclosure to the floor..

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what I can try to stop the rattling? I do have an appointment Monday to bring the truck in to the dealer to install the tow hitch they had to order -- if the sub is in fact blown, how likely is it that they will replace it under warranty? (The truck is brand new, 1 month old)

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
x2 on the above..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the sub out.. Put some padding on the metal mounting plate as well as on the locating pins on the sub itself. Going to try it out in a little while.. Definitely sounds like the plastic is rattling against the metal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope.. Its definitely coming from the woofer(s) themselves..I thought maybe I heard it not happening when I held my hand under it, but I was mistaken.. Pretty much starts at any volume above 7 or 8 with any bass coming out (and I'm not talking about really bass-heavy music here)

Ill see what the dealer says Monday.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think I recall when I stuffed some poly foam in the box that the grill comes off and then the subs have separate screws for each one. You could pull the grill to verify none of the screws holding the sub to the box are loose, otherwise the bumper to bumper warranty will cover a replacement.

Let us know either way so people in the future can know what was the resolution.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Hmmm.. 2010 and you should only do one thing if you have any problems. Head to the stealership and make them fix it as you are under the 12k bumper to bumper. Screw trying to fix anything yourself unless you really want to pay for it out of pocket after voiding your warranty. If the stealership in questions detects any tampering, they can and will void your warranty and refuse repairs. :(

This should be fixed by your stealership with no questions asked. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealership looked at it today and said 'Yep, its blown.. We'll order you a new one - should be here in a day or two'

For what its worth -- Nissan's list price on that piece of junk is $563.90

1 - 9 of 9 Posts