Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a new project, so I decided with my modest fabrication skills that I would get some metal and build my own set of rock sliders/steps, based on the shrockworks design. I just looked at pictures online and eyeballed how the mounting brackets were made. Then I just visually figured out some basic measurements for the support tubing and main cross square tube. I dont have a tubing bender or access to one so I decided I would miter cut the 1.75" DOM round tube to create a 45 degree angle. The real challenge so far was to figure out how to cut the compound miter that would allow the 45 degree section of round tube to be angled up at 30 degrees where it meets the square tube. I made up a jig and was able to cut it using my portaband pro bandsaw setup. Here is where I am at so far.

These will get welded to the square tube tonight and I will start working on the two support pieces of tubing per side. I am going to adding some angle iron on top of the rail in a couple places to create a more secure step. When all of this is welded up, I am going to spray it in UPOL Raptor spray on bedliner to match my Precision Welding bumper made by forum member eolivas. I will add some more pictures as it comes along.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the latest progress. I have to cut and weld some support pieces next.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
JF very beefy and the welds look super-clean. Nice job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look killer - great job. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished
Thanks Zedbra. This has been a fun project so far, I will keep it updated as it comes along.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The real challenge so far was to figure out how to cut the compound miter that would allow the 45 degree section of round tube to be angled up at 30 degrees where it meets the square tub
The compound angle formula is: sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB. The substitution produces the formula: sin(A+B) = (opposite side a/hypotenuse a)(adjacent side b/hypotenuse b) + (adjacent side a/hypotenuse a)(opposite side b/hypotenuse b).

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I just draw it in AutoCAD and measure the angle.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Sorry , didn't finish my post.
When I started machining
compound angles there was no access to autocad(1972).
Heck , my first calculator ,a Craig was $90
and it would do percentage.
Still , I don't know what you woud measure even with autocad.
You could get the angles of both angles, than what?
I had the angles and measurements . I designed it.
I have SolidWorkds. You have ttwo angles that combine to form a single angle.You need to come up with one correct angle to notch the tubes for example.
Like I said, I have SolidWorks and could not get the correct angle.
Cannot see how yo get that angle without trigging it out.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way I figured out my cuts was a bit more rudimentary but it worked! Anyway, I got a little more work done last night. Got the support pieces of tubing notched and got the angles cut. I figured out the spacing and got one of the supports welded in.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Looking really good. Well done.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Obviously , your method worked!
Coming out great!
Being an old school machinist. proof was in thar numbers not lie when correct.
Lots of ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obviously , your method worked!
Coming out great!
Being an old school machinist. proof was in the numbers not lie when correct.
Lots of ways to skin attack.
Over the past couple years, I have picked up a new found love for fabricating and welding. I am self taught but I sometimes wonder if I should have went to a trade school for machining or welding. When I was in high school there was no one pushing trade schools, it was all about going to a 4 year college.

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
According to my mom I was building stuff before I could read or write.
Model
airplanes and boats. Model cars, slot cars, etc.
It was the same way growing up but shop classes were a requirement.
They pushed for four year colleges also.
Thought I would become an engineer.
Math major in HS.
My HS has a machine shop class.
Worked on a girder front end for my Harley trike and realized I rather use my hands.
Even after the service while in trade school, they wanted me to become a manufacturing engineer . Nope, not for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got all the supports welded in, and I bolted up one side to see what it looked like. I'm not done yet, but I am pretty happy with how they have turned out so far. I still need to cap the ends of the square tube and I may add something on top of the round tube to make a more positive grip on the step area. Still messing with that. I may just leave it as it is, considering the bed liner will give it a good grip.

·
Registered
902 Posts
got beef? those looking sharp!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts