Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes I will agree that the frontier has overhang but with the 6 foot bed you end up with less than 2 feet over hang and dont have to worry about snapping an 8ft sheet of drywall, a 4 foot 6 inch bed you have 3 1/2 feet of over hang. To me, as a person that uses my truck as a truck, that means i have to put flags on the end as its over 3 feet overhang and then I have to worry about the board cracking/ snaping. Which means more work/materials for same rate.

As for the off road specs posted, it would be interesting to see the durability of it all long term. The elctric motors and water kinda scare me. But hey electric cars seem to be doing fine in the snow and salt of winter.
I believe the electric motors are sealed. There was a video of a Tesla driving through deep water and it started floating. Come to find out that the motors are sealed and nothing happened.

·
Registered
707 Posts
n when youre in out there in the mountains and run out of gas..... the simple folks in town will just look at you funny like,,... you got an electric truck????? n will laugh at you while they drive off in their 1970s diesel with 400k miles
Hyperbole aside, the lack of ability to simply recharge an electric vehicle when away from infrastructure is why they don't make good general-purpose offroaders yet. In contrast, pouring more liquid fuel into a tank easily extends the range of a 4x4 that has run out of gas out in the middle of nowhere, a process that is easy whether it's onboard jerry cans or someone else delivering fuel. Can even deliver fuel on-foot if it's absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Hyperbole aside, the lack of ability to simply recharge an electric vehicle when away from infrastructure is why they don't make good general-purpose offroaders yet. In contrast, pouring more liquid fuel into a tank easily extends the range of a 4x4 that has run out of gas out in the middle of nowhere, a process that is easy whether it's onboard jerry cans or someone else delivering fuel. Can even deliver fuel on-foot if it's absolutely necessary.
That would be the same then as carrying a "Jerry can"-sized auxiliary battery pack with you, to put juice back into the main battery pack.

We already have said auxiliary battery packs readily available for cell phones, laptops, even a car/truck battery. So that kind of technology is already available, but there's no mass-market auxiliary battery packs for EVs yet because currently EVs are meant for city/local driving, where there is a roll out of recharging infrastructure already being done.

The biggest con of EV vs. IC is "refill time" - a full tank of gas can take a few minutes tops, a full charge of current battery technology still takes a lot longer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Or just kick back pitch a tent break open a few cold ones while the solar panel tonneau cover makes more juice. Lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
All - Rivian has patents on a portable “mega pack” that will up the 400 range even more (sits in the bed). The truck will also have DC-DC charging at over 350V and 150 amps. That will put 200+ miles of charge back into the pack in less than 20 minutes. And for ruggedness, 4 wheel air shocks, quad motor design, ballistic under carriage shielding and sealed components allowing 3 feet of wading seems pretty solid. The bed itself is admittedly short at 4’7” but with the tail gate down, its closer 6’. In addition, the R1T bed will hold 1,700 pounds of payload with a tow rating of 11,000 pounds - nearly twice the Frontier’s tow capacity.

Can’t wait to see it in 2020. Until then (and unless I win the lottery!), going to be perfectly content with my 2019 Frontier Pro4X.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm not sure why they don't put solar cells on the hood and roof of the vehicle. It seems like they could readily do so, and have the solar units run the radio, and trickle charge the battery while stationary.

As for electric, I can't wait for them to become more common place and into the realm of possibility for the general public. More infrastructure will make things much easier and viable. Also, Instant tire frying torque. Because reasons

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Rivian already has a better range than our trucks and boast better specs all around. The suspension will need to be proven reliable, but for the first consumer electric truck Rivian really seems to be putting it's best foot forward.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
The Rivian already has a better range than our trucks and boast better specs all around. The suspension will need to be proven reliable, but for the first consumer electric truck Rivian really seems to be putting it's best foot forward.
"Better" is all based on claimed specifications. This truck doesn't even exist yet in production or even pre-production form.

The whole vehicle will have to actually be proven reliable in real world, not on paper. As of right now nothing is certain yet... the Rivian can either end up going the route of Tesla or the route of Faraday Future.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I'm not sure why they don't put solar cells on the hood and roof of the vehicle. It seems like they could readily do so, and have the solar units run the radio, and trickle charge the battery while stationary.

As for electric, I can't wait for them to become more common place and into the realm of possibility for the general public. More infrastructure will make things much easier and viable. Also, Instant tire frying torque. Because reasons
Everything I've heard, the cost of adding doesn't equal the gain in battery charging capacity. Someday, this may change I suppose, if they can come up with some kind of photocell paint where the entire body is covered for not much additional cost to the vehicle.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sorry, just noticed sight I posted didn't have specs that matter.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/rivian-r1t-electric-truck-has-400-mile-range-and-supercar-acceleration/ar-BBQ751B
Let's see, 800hp, 11000lb towing capacity, front and rear skid plates, probably an underside smoother than a babys bottom, 5" of adjustable ride height, 400mi range, on board 110v and compressor, 1 meter water crossing capability. Throw some m/t's on it and embarrass some well built rigs while saving the planet. Still butt-a$$ ugly though! Lol.
Sorry to say the only Embarrassment is it probably won't get sold most Trucks guys are rolling on the floor with their Thumb in their mouths mumbling why ???

Ford 150's whisper to you on the road they have no sound what so ever I think most of us want the opposite of that lol
If i am driving a sleeper Truck i at least want you to hear it when I am running by you lol

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
16 Participants
Tommy Pearson III
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing