Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, but I still don't understand the calculating of a wheel/tire combo, and what exactly fits the 2005 frontier, but here is what I have so far.

www.rimzoneonline.com - 17 x 9 Bolt Pattern 6x4.50 Metric 6x114.30 18 Offset

Those are the rims I have decided on, and from what I have heard, they will fit on the 2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x2 correct?

Once again, I am having difficulty matching tires to the rims.

I do not know what size tires will rub the wheel well, and I do not know what tires will fit these rims, so if you guys could PLEASE help me buy listing a few tires (all terrains, and regular ones: idk what the regular type of tires are called, but mine are general grabber or something like that) and also, I would like to know some of the cheapest tires in both those categories. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Yes those rims do fit.

Do you have a lift?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Just find something that is 32" tall and you should be okay.

Once again, there is no difference between tire sizes on highway ones, all terrain ones and mud terrain ones. They size all the same.

Go and visit discounttire.com or tirerack.com and see the availability on tires and decide from there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so all that matters for these rims is the last one?

and also i guess the second number in the tire matters so you can tell if it rubs?

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Tire numbers 101 break down:

Example tire 265/70-16

265mm = tread width
70 = % of sidewall height to width
16 = rim diameter

So converting from metric . . .

265 = 10.43" width of tire (tread width, not bead width)

70% of 265 = 185.5mm or 7.30"

So 7.30" x 2 (sidewall twice to come up with overall height of rubber only) = 14.60"

14.60" (total rubber height) + 16" (rim diameter) = 30.60" total tire diameter (total height)

32" or less in total height and staying close to the 10.43" width and you should not have any problems fitting them on a stock set-up depending on the rim offset.

Here's a member that (I presume, if that's his truck) has the same rims you are looking at, maybe you can ask him what tires he's running: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...05-frontiers-add-5949/index32.html#post811064

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Yeah I have those wheels.
I ran a 265/65-17 with no rubbing with no lift. I ran into rubbing issues when I bumped up to a 285/70-17, I had to go 4" of lift to get rid of my rubbing.
I can't tell you for sure if a 265/70-17 will fit with no lift and no rubbing, I THINK it would though.

If you have the stock General Grabbers, that pic linked to above of my truck is exactly what yours will look like then. I had those same tires.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
And to further the discussion with another example, when I replaced my tires I went from the OEM size of 265/70-16 to 265/75-16.

Still at 265mm wide or 10.43" wide on the tread.

But now I'm 198.75mm or 7.82" of sidewall height.

So 7.82" x 2 + 16" = 31.64" total tire diameter (total height).

31.64" (new height) - 30.60" (OEM height) = 1.04" tire diameter gain.
In reality half that gain at .52" or 33/64" is "free lift" raising my truck off the ground more.

My new 265/75-16s look pretty tight in the wheel wells.
Lock to lock I clear just fine though without lifting, trimming or removing the front valance or any of the other measures people have gone to for allowing a larger tire to fit in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did the same thing as ToddG. I went from a 265/70/16 to a 265/75/16 gaining an inch of diameter. Mine will rub slightly if I get any mud or ice built up in the fender wells. They do not rub at all (even full lock under compression) if the fender wells are clean. If you want the same size as the 265/75/16 for a 17" wheel, you would need a 265/70/17. If you want to stick with basically the factory 265/70/16 size, you will need a 265/65/17. Confusing enough?

As for tires, I am running Hankook Dynapro ATM's and have been very happy with them. They are a fairly mild all terrain tread, but they have good traction in the snow and mud while maintaining a quiet and smooth highway ride. I have almost 20k miles on mine, and I would say that they are less than 50% worn. I am figuring I can get at least 30k more miles on them at this rate. The cost was not too bad either, somewhere around $550 for all 4 mounted, balanced, and out the door. I don't know how the 17's compare cost-wise though.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Tire numbers 101 break down:

Example tire 265/70-16

265mm = tread width
you meant carcass width right? (section through the widest part of the tire, which is not the tread).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so my general grabber tires would fit these rims? cause I thought the stock rims were 16's? Ahh this is so complicated! btw, i just bought these rims with my own money ( im 16 )

and my dad is going to help me get tires i think unless the general grabbers fit, cause he knows like everything about cars, but we have the type of relationship that is like "hey" 'Hey"

and thats all for the day^ haa

·
Registered
146 Posts
No, your stock tires will not fit. Look at the last number on your stock tire size on the sidewall. It should look something like P265/70 R16. Unless the R__ number is a 17, they will not fit on a 17" rim.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
There are 3 different size rims used on oem Frontiers. You either have a 16, 17 or 18 but I doubt it is the 18s.

If you have 16s, then no, the won't fit a 17" rim.

If you have the 17s, then yes, the tires will transfer.

So, the moral of the whole story is that you must match the rim size to the tire size. So go out and see what you have now on your truck and then you will know if you have to buy tires or not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i know i have the 16', but someone on here said my stock tires would fit ( i didnt think so cause i knew they were 16's but i guess they were referring to the 17's )

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
And to further the discussion with another example, when I replaced my tires I went from the OEM size of 265/70-16 to 265/75-16.

Still at 265mm wide or 10.43" wide on the tread.

But now I'm 198.75mm or 7.82" of sidewall height.

So 7.82" x 2 + 16" = 31.64" total tire diameter (total height).

31.64" (new height) - 30.60" (OEM height) = 1.04" tire diameter gain.
In reality half that gain at .52" or 33/64" is "free lift" raising my truck off the ground more.

My new 265/75-16s look pretty tight in the wheel wells.
Lock to lock I clear just fine though without lifting, trimming or removing the front valance or any of the other measures people have gone to for allowing a larger tire to fit in the wheel wells.
Another advantage of going to this new size is there are less revolutions to the mile which slows down the miles travelled on the odometer. When under warranty this can accumulate to a few thousand miles in the long run.
Think of how much less liability of repairs they'd have it the speedometers were ten percent too fast?

Clint

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Another advantage of going to this new size is there are less revolutions to the mile which slows down the miles travelled on the odometer. When under warranty this can accumulate to a few thousand miles in the long run.
Think of how much less liability of repairs they'd have it the speedometers were ten percent too fast?

Clint
Well, I've posted this before but after "upsizing" to the 75s it corrected my speedometer as measured by my GPS.
Now they read the same.

The Nismos came with 265/75-16s and the LEs ran 17" tires so I'm guessing Nissan didn't tweak odometers based on tire size but rather used a middle of the road calibration regardless of model.
So yeah, the odo readings would not necessarily be 100% accurate across the different model types.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.