Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! This is my first attempt at an DIY on here so if I make any mistakes, please bear with me. Im still trying to figure out how everything works, but hopefully with a little help & a lot of luck, I'll eventually get it. Now, on to the write-up.
I installed an Bussmann RTMR auxiliary power system awhile back & have been itching to hook something up to it ever since. Seeing how I go camping now & then & always need extra light, I figured Id install a set of Rigid flush mount SR-Qs in the rear bumper. I came across a few problems with this install though. 1st is the newer trucks have rear sonars in the bumper, which I really didn't want to move or get rid of, & 2nd is theres not much room between the bumper & where it attaches to the frame. Another choice was to install the lights below the bumper, which I also didn't want to do. My last choice was to notch out a section of the frame to give me enough room behind the lights so they'd sit flush in the bumper, & I really really didn't want to do this. I'm very picky to the way I want things to be & to look when it comes to my truck. So, how to get around these problems. Well, I decided if I cant go into the bumper then how about out??
When I bought the lights I also bought a set of the 15 degree mounts. Rigid shows them being used on fire-trucks &/or ambulances to help with scene lighting. I decided to use them as thick 'gaskets'.

1st pic is of the lights & the 15 degree mounts or thick 'gaskets'.
[/URL][/IMG]

2nd pic is how I marked off where I wanted the lights to go. I took a metal ruler & laid it across the top of the two sonar detectors & made a straight line. Then found the middle of the line & marked it. After that, I took one of the gaskets, laid the top part of it along the line & traced out the inner portion to give me a guide to work with.
[/URL][/IMG]

This pic is an original mount compared to what it looked like after I put it to a belt sander. Talk about a mess after grinding all that down. :frown:
[/URL][/IMG]

Theres one!::smile::
[/URL][/IMG]

Theres the other one!::smile::
[/URL][/IMG]

Heres both of em! They stick out maybe juuust a tad bit more than the sonars do.
[/URL][/IMG]

Heres a shot of the backside. You can see how close it is even using the thick 'gaskets'. And that's the area of the bumper mount I was going to have to notch in order to make it fit. I think this way was abit easier.::laugh::
[/URL][/IMG]

Heres where I ran my wiring. I covered the entire stretch of wiring in techflex (actually double covered) from the bumper to the engine compartment.
[/URL][/IMG]

This section I covered in split-loom, wrapped in electrical tape, & then heat shrink on the ends just because im OCD like that. I also loosend the bracket the brake lines go thru & ran the wiring behind it to help protect it. Told ya Im OCD like that.::grin::
[/URL][/IMG]

And then finally, heres the Bussmann RTMR I connected the lights to. It has 10 circuits. 5 are fused & relayed & each circuit is rated for 30 amps. The other 5 are fused only & rated for 20 amps each. The entire setup is rated for 80-100 amps combined. You can go over that amount, just don't use everything all at the same time.
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, that about does it for my first DIY of installing flush mount lights into an newer Fronty with reverse sonar. If anyone has any questions about the setup, Ill try to answer them as soon as I can. I work a really odd schedule so its kinda hard for me to get in front of a computer these days. Anyways, I hope yall enjoyed it & hopefully learned something from it. I had a pretty good time doing it. Thanks for taking a look at my write-up! See ya!::grin::

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you! It took me about 2 days to do everything. I started by taking the wiring harness apart & covering it in the techflex. I then cut the holes out for the lights & used hand files to open up the holes a little at a time till the lights fit. I then ground down the angled mounts till they were an even thickness. Heck, I even dropped the spare tire down & moved it out the way so I could have enough room under the truck to run the wiring & take pics of everything! It wasnt easy but i had a good time doing it. Thanks again for the compliment!

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Really clean. I can appreciate the 'ocd' of this. Similar attention to detail I had on my rear cam& CB antenna install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts