Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just went to get my car smogged and it failed. Right exhaust manifold. I did a quick check online of cost to have this done at a shop and the range varies from $400-$1000. A little too much.

I've been pricing online and I can get the right exhaust manifold for $45 on some sites. That seems way low. Any suggestions? This is a 2001 3.3L and it has 195k miles. I'd like to keep it to about 250k miles - if possible.

I'm a pretty fair mechanic (weekend mechanic at least) and it seems like removing the wheel well is the best way to get at the manifold. I figure that's probably the toughest part. Maybe an afternoon or so?

Many thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rock Auto has a Dorman for $55, I have always been pleased, with Dorman products. I mostly go R A, but I'll by a bargain on EBay, if I know the product.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
The aftermarket manifolds aren't expensive, at all. I know Rockauto.com sells Dorman manifold kits with heat shield and gaskets for around $60 and a limited lifetime warranty. As you've mentioned, through the wheel well is the best place to access the manifold and then you'll have to work it out through the bottom or top to get it out. The larger studs of the 3.3L are much less prone to breaking than the smaller VG30 studs were, but, do occasionly break. That's the worst part of the job if it does happen, drilling out the old studs in tight confines. So, lots of soaking with rust penetrant before you start! The heat shield bolts always break, but that's not a problem if you are replacing the manifold, anyway. Hopefully, they won't be so rusted away that you can't get a socket on them! Time-wise, an afternoon would do it if all goes well. It's all the matter of how rusted bolts and nuts are and if any studs break.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts